Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte A Blanch 32233

Matt 71

Hallo

Would anybody have any information about this chap please?

Pte Arthur Blanch

15th south Wales Borders 32233

22nd northumberland fusiliers 69888

dis 392 xxv11

thankyou

Edited by Matt 71

xxviii   discharged on demobilization  often seen as class z   you missed a 1 from the mic

Matt,

you evidently have done some digging. It would help members in assisting you if you could post as much biographical information as you have (place and date of birth, parents and siblings details, trade etc.). This would narrow down matters and save those trying to help from following false leads. Good luck with your search.

Simon

1 hour ago, mancpal said:

Matt,

you evidently have done some digging. It would help members in assisting you if you could post as much biographical information as you have (place and date of birth, parents and siblings details, trade etc.). This would narrow down matters and save those trying to help from following false leads. Good luck with your search.

Simon

Ok thanks 

I don’t have ancestry but a friend found this and we think it’s himIMG_5053.png.b0b1c229badc55f997f429cf4016b68f.png

Matt, 

you must have grounds to make you think the man on the census is the same Arthur Blanch you seek, please post what they are which will encourage members to spend their time trying to help you. 
I don’t have an Ancestry subscription either other than accessing the free bits. My local library, and many others across Britain , have free access to this and sometimes other archives that otherwise require parting with money.

Simon

So there were 17 Arthur Blaches on the 1911 census most were too young or old it came down to two, and this one was smack bang in the middle of SWB recruitment area. I’ve dug my library card out and will try and find out more today. Thanks Simon

3 hours ago, Matt 71 said:

So there were 17 Arthur Blaches on the 1911 census most were too young or old it came down to two, and this one was smack bang in the middle of SWB recruitment area.

Firstly may I suggest, in a friendly way = that you ensure that you have your posted details, especially his surname, correct.  BLANCH or BLACHES ??

Secondly, a cautionary comment = recruitment was not necessarily by residential area - many men were recruited or later posted well out of their home area and a local regiment.  I know of a recruit who lived/came from Manchester and ended up in the South Wales Borderers [In the same SWB Bn. there was also a lad from NE Cheshire and there are likely to be many other examples]

M

Edited by Matlock1418

3 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

Firstly may I suggest, in a friendly way = that you ensure that you have your posted details, especially his surname, correct.  BLANCH or BLACHES ??

Secondly, a cautionary comment = recruitment was not necessarily by residential area - many men were recruited or later posted well out of their home area and a local regiment.  I know of a recruit who lived/came from Manchester and ended up in the South Wales Borderers [In the same SWB Bn. there was also a lad from NE Cheshire and there are likely to be many other examples]

M

Sorry my fault it is Blanch, the only other Blanch was in Hertfordshire so just presumed the Welsh chap was our man

2 minutes ago, Matt 71 said:

Blanch

Thank you for confirming.

M

Arthur Blanch, 12 years old in the 1911 Census, lived at 15 Raglan Street, Risca, Monmouthshire with his father Thomas, a 40 year old Coal Miner/Hewer, his mother Emily, also 40 yrs, and 3 other siblings. All were born in Risca.

The parents had been married 19 years, and up to 1911 had had 4 children, all of whom were still alive.

All were monoglot English speakers.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

8 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Arthur Blanch, 12 years old in the 1911 Census, lived at 15 Raglan Street, Risca, Monmouthshire with his father Thomas, a 40 year old Coal Miner/Hewer, his mother Emily, also 40 yrs, and 3 other siblings. All were born in Risca.

The parents had been married 19 years, and up to 1911 had had 4 children, all of whom were still alive.

All were monoglot English speakers.

Thank you for this, I think this is the man whose medal my brother has. But I can’t be 💯 

1 hour ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Arthur Blanch, 12 years old in the 1911 Census, lived at 15 Raglan Street, Risca, Monmouthshire

From WFA/Fold 3 pension records ... Presumably a brother to Arthur.

William Charles BLANCH, 231123, 2nd Bn., London Regiment, b. 1892, - 15 Raglan St, Risca, Monmouthshire - Discharged 9-11-17, GSW L leg amputated

Just goes to show residence and regiment  did not necessarily go together.

M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo

10 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

From WFA/Fold 3 pension records ... Presumably a brother to Arthur.

William Charles BLANCH, 231123, 2nd Bn., London Regiment, b. 1892, - 15 Raglan St, Risca, Monmouthshire - Discharged 9-11-17, GSW L leg amputated

Just goes to show residence and regiment  did not necessarily go together.

M

Fair point, so your saying pretty much it’s not him?

Just now, Matt 71 said:

No not quite, just saying it often is hard to be sure of a residence link to a regiment - as I cautioned before.

M

Arthur Blanch did have a brother, William Blanch aged 18 in the 1911 Census, so possibly born 1892.

4 hours ago, Matt 71 said:

I think Matlock was saying upthread that just because someone lived in the recruiting area of a regiment, didn't mean he would automatically end up in that regiment. So for example, just because Arthur was from South Wales, it didn't necessarily mean he woulkd end up in the SWB. And as an example of his earlier point, William Blanch was in the London Regiment.

As it happens, William looks as though he's Arthur's brother.

4 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

No not quite, just saying it often is hard to be sure of a residence link to a regiment - as I cautioned before.

Not saying it isn't. It's probable, but not definite.

Is there a way of proving that Arthur Blanch of Risca is  32233, 15th South Wales Borders?
Possibly.
The Absent Voters List for both Newport and Monmouthshire survive.
The Monmouthshire (Abertillery, Bedwellty, Ebbw Vale, Monmouth and Pontypool divisions) lists are held by Gwent Archives in Ebbw Vale.
Newport (Monmouthshire) lists for 1918-1919 and 1921-1923 and held in Newport Reference Library.

AVLs are by and large the only data source that lists soldiers with their addresses and their service numbers and units.
A Trip to Newport and/or Ebbw Vale beckons for you...