Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regiment Identification John Fraser McFarlane

PB BUSH

Good morning,

I have requested help many times on this Forum regarding the McFarlane brothers, as a forum you have help me discover and identify each of them apart from one brother John Fraser McFarlane. Who despite your collective efforts could not positively identify his service record.

Since my last post on this subject I now have new information on John Fraser McFarlane, by way of a betting slip!!

I have tracked down another relative of John McFarlane's who used to put on bets for his Gran and Grandad.

I am told, as I am not a betting man, that before there were official betting slips that you signed your Betting slip with a Coded name, in John McFarlane's case it was 51 HD, his regiment. The 51st Highland Division (Black Watch).

I had always thought and went on the assumption that John McFarlane joined up with the The Royal Scots along with several of his brothers, which is where my search took me. His brothers William and David lived in Prestonpans and had joined up with 8th Royal Scots Territorial force based nearby, so a natural assumption I though, a red herring it turns out. John McFarlane lived in Lumphinnans, Fife, about 25 miles from the Black watch base in Perth.

Although John was christened John Fraser McFarlane, the middle Fraser part of his name only appears on his birth and Death certificates, so I am sure he was known only as John McFarlane. His wife's maiden name was Susan Sullivan and had one child in November 1914, Catherine.

I did make contact with a member on the forum who I sometimes bounce ideas off with a possible candidate (attached), his advice below

JohnMcFarlane1.png.856d0b5005ff524e39a466f22a3855a1.png

" What has caught my eye is that [seemingly likely as 1267 BW/RH] he was Discharged 392 (xxi) 19-2-16 under the KR

392 sub-para xxi was on the termination of his ____ period of engagement = that rather suggests to me that he had pre-war service [rather than wartime enlistment for 3 years or the Duration of the war]

Then rejoined as 33162, Royal Scots

You really need to post this in the forum as you will get answers from more expert members than me!"

All comments and advise welcome

PB

1 hour ago, PB BUSH said:

All comments and advise welcome

A search of the Medal Rolls has found the following:-

1914/15 Star Medal Rolls -- confirms that he entered Theatre of War 1 (France and Flanders) on the 2nd May 1915

British War Medal & Victory Medal Rolls -- shows that he was with the 7th Battalion, Royal Highlanders (a Territorial Force)

The Star Rolls shows that he was discharged on the 19th February 1916 under King's Regulation 392 xxi (Termination of his period of engagement)

(images courtesy of Ancestry)

McFarlane_1267_Star Rolls.jpg

McFarlane_1267_BWM and VM medal rolls.jpg

Edited by Allan1892

Some further information from other threads

On 22/08/2023 at 11:15, PB BUSH said:

John Fraser McFarlane, born 30th October 1892, at 34 Middle Street, Cuthill, Prestonpans, East Lothian.

John had 9 siblings

Jessie Fraser McFarlane, William McFarlane, Mary Ann McFarlane, David Fraser McFarlane, James McFarlane, Adam Fraser McFarlane, Hellen Fraser McFarlane

Charles McFarlane, Janet Innes McFarlane.

Father James McFarlane, Mother Margaret McFarlane (Fraser)

By 1901 the family had moved back to the mining community of Lumphinnans, Ballingry, Fife 

John married Susan Sullivan 1914. They had two children, Catherine 1914, Susan 1921 The gap between the births might suggest Army service.

Apologies if I have given too much information, appreciate any help

PB

what I can tell you is that your John Fraser McFarlane was still a Coal Miner on 11th November 1914 when he married Susan Sullivan in Cowdenbeath.

1/7th (Fife) Battalion (TFRoyal Highlanders (Black Watch) - Landed at Boulogne on 2 May 1915.

(Source: LLT)

The termination of engagement on 19th February 1916 seems peculiar to me. I assume he has served 4 + 1 years in the TF?

Here are some sample regimental numbers and joining dates for the the 7th Battalion (TF), The Black Watch (Royal Highlanders).

61 joined on the 2nd April 1908
746 joined on the 27th January 1909
1294 joined on the 31st March 1910
1397 joined on the 25th January 1911

Source:
https://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.com/2021/02/black-watch-7th-battalion-tf-1908-1914.html

6 minutes ago, Keith_history_buff said:

The termination of engagement on 19th February 1916 seems peculiar to me. I assume he has served 4 + 1 years in the TF?

A puzzler to me as well

26 minutes ago, Allan1892 said:

A search of the Medal Rolls has found the following:-

1914/15 Star Medal Rolls -- confirms that he entered Theatre of War 1 (France and Flanders) on the 2nd May 1915

British War Medal & Victory Medal Rolls -- shows that he was with the 7th Battalion, Royal Highlanders (a Territorial Force)

The Star Rolls shows that he was discharged on the 19th February 1916 under King's Regulation 392 xxi (Termination of his period of engagement)

(images courtesy of Ancestry)

McFarlane_1267_Star Rolls.jpg

McFarlane_1267_BWM and VM medal rolls.jpg

Can you read what it says in red on the right hand column?

Listed as "wounded" on War Office Daily List No. 5466 dated 15 Jan 1918, digitised by the National Library of Scotland

McFarlane, J (Bellhaven)
33162, Private, Royal Scots

No other search results for this man.

'Issue will be made on page 1431 D/101 B 14 Auth'y D/101 B14'

Given that he appears on two BWM & VM rolls, only one set of medals should be issued.

2 minutes ago, PB BUSH said:

Can you read what it says in red on the right hand column?

Looks like --

Issue will be made on page 1431 D/101 B14 Authy D/101 B14

29 minutes ago, Keith_history_buff said:

Some further information from other threads

Yes I posted that, I have Johns wedding certificate

WO 329/2742 - 1914-15 Star Royal Highlanders (Black Watch) other ranks: medal roll

WO 329/1351 - BWM & VM Royal Highlanders (Black Watch) other ranks: medal roll

WO 329/633 - BWM & VM Royal Scots other ranks: medal roll. Served in 2nd Battalion, then 13th Battalion

14 minutes ago, Keith_history_buff said:

Listed as "wounded" on War Office Daily List No. 5466 dated 15 Jan 1918, digitised by the National Library of Scotland

McFarlane, J (Bellhaven)
33162, Private, Royal Scots

No other search results for this man.

Bellhaven ? looks like I have the wrong man!!

For those of you who haven't seen this photo before, it is of John Fraser McFarlane, his wife Susan Sullivan and his daughter Catherine who was born November 1914, so would probably put this photo at mid 1915.

IMG_0730.jpeg.f324208b060118b0cef1dd6f78488cbd.jpeg

31 minutes ago, PB BUSH said:

For those of you who haven't seen this photo before, it is of John Fraser McFarlane, his wife Susan Sullivan and his daughter Catherine who was born November 1914, so would probably put this photo at mid 1915.

IMG_0730.jpeg.f324208b060118b0cef1dd6f78488cbd.jpeg

That’s Royal Scots going by three features; the plain trousers rather than kilt, the curved shoulder title, and the [obsolescent] type of waistbelt and clasp.

IMG_3752.jpeg

IMG_3753.jpeg

IMG_3754.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE