Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Schuddebeurs Battery

I have an RNAS reconnaissance flight in January 1917 reporting that the Schuddebeurs Battery in the Netherlands  was "active".

Schuddebeurs is fairly near the border with occupied Belgium, but did the Netherlands have defensive Anti Aircraft batteries, and who did they fire at? Both German and Allied aircraft presumably?

On the off chance that anyone is interested, the Netherlands did indeed fire "warning shots" (at least) at any Allied or German Aircraft caught flying over the Netherlands Neutral airspace - the practice of which was strictly against RNAS regulations at least!

46 minutes ago, MikeW said:

the practice of which was strictly against RNAS regulations at least!

Gosh! That was risky of the Netherlands . 

48 minutes ago, MikeW said:

at any Allied or German Aircraft caught flying over the

I mean doing this was risking repercussions from both sides against them

When you consider the number of both German and Allied planes that ended up in Switzerland during WWII, then there must have been others from both that landed in Holland, after getting off course.

8 minutes ago, stevenbecker said:

ended up in Switzerland during WWII

Interesting . But did they all get fired at by the Swiss in Ww2?

A scene ....an Allied pilot and a German pilot meet after both land  in same  field in the Netherlands in WW1. Who fires on the other one first ?

What do you do in a neutral country with pilots from either side ?you cannot aid / assist/ harbour them and risk attack from opposing side against you . So you fire at all planes to discourage them from landing.

All makes sense now 

I think with regards to the RNAS, it was to discourage the use of neutral airspace to get a look at Antwerp which was heavily defended.

What was done with the pilots that came down in the Netherlands was to intern them. Aircraft were purchased from their owners and often pressed into service with the Netherlands

Of cause the Swiss recieved a number of fighters (BF 109's) during WWII because the Germans wanted something (I forget) from them

I  have not heard of them shooting at anyone, but I would not put it passed them.

Likely during WWI they must have picked up a few planes from the Germans and French who strayed.

Likely Holland also picked up a few 

just for interest, here is an "interned" Nieuport 11 that belonged to Naval 6 (FSL Powles) that suffered damage and made a forced landing in the Netherlands on the 26th Feb 1917.

interned N6 N11.JPG

Hello,

this place (Schuddebeurze) was near the frontline in WW1, close to Nieuwpoort and Lombardsijde.

regards,

Cnock

20 minutes ago, Cnock said:

close to Nieuwpoort and Lombardsijde.

Ah ! Thank you Cnock.

Then this makes sense 100% to our research into RNAS 2 doesn't it @MikeW

These pilots were crossing the frontline around that point very often if not almost daily ( weather permitting)

This map is from a thread on the forum and really sorry I cannot recall who had posted it here .

Lombardsijde.is in there somewhere I believe .

Cheers

Fiona 

Yser.jpg

The Schuddeburze on Your map.

Yser.jpg.7b7009c6689f1531f6cd1c6693a78609.jpg

British artillery map, July 1917. You can clearly see positins of the guns at Schuddebeurze. Hope this helps.

ARTILLKAART.jpg

Schuddebeurze is located east of Lombardzijde

13 minutes ago, Cnock said:

Hope this helps

It does indeed! Thank you so much .

Fancy flying over/ near/ past that lot of guns   ......

The guns must have been well supported on concrete coz the land was so saturated with seawater from the Yser inundations if not actually flooded there 

My  great little reprint of 1919 Michelin Guide  " The Yser " tells me  " the liveliest part of the sector was that in front of Nieuport ".

Of course for the port and turning off the flood water gates too I imagine.

Photos copyright Michellin originally.  This copy  published by G.H.Smith and Sons, York ( online store) £9 very well spent !

Exceptional photos in my opinion.  

1713813628053777291500142327495.jpg

17138137080353032732116027209844.jpg

17138137524552504456706986783206.jpg

17138137837628921478553852998161.jpg

17138138475825047504782518707104.jpg

Hello Eddy, long time no speak! Hope you are well.

I may be getting confused here, In Cross and Cockade Vol 6 iss 2, FSL LH Pearson recounts that when reconnaissance's had to take a look at Antwerp it was much safer (but totally against regulations) to come round the coast and then down the Scheldt - he says he was fired upon by the Netherlands but felt it was "more in protest than anger".

Schuddebeurs in the Netherlands would appear to be quite close to this route. I agree your Scuddebeurze near Nieuport could have been the location referred to in my report (not by Pearson), but I have reports mentioning Schuddebeurze Battery as well as a report referring to Schuddebeurs - this could be a typo, but Observers were usually pretty good with place names.

Mike

Hello Mike, 

Yes, doing well for the moment.

I know that British bomberplanes went along the Belgian coast to the Scheldt estuary (on Dutch soil) and followed the Scheldt to drop bombs over Gent.

But they were always fired upon by long range Flak posted along the Belgian coast.

De Schuddebeurze was on higher ground, complete with trenches

SCHUDDEBEURZE.jpg

FLAK7.jpg

On 23/04/2024 at 08:40, Cnock said:

De Schuddebeurze was on higher ground, complete with trenches

Thank you again Gnock . these are terrific maps and they help me imagine what my grandfather saw when he was flying over there in late 1917 to Spring 1918.

Edited by FionaBam

On 15/04/2024 at 16:42, MikeW said:

On the off chance that anyone is interested, the Netherlands did indeed fire "warning shots" (at least) at any Allied or German Aircraft caught flying over the Netherlands Neutral airspace - the practice of which was strictly against RNAS regulations at least!

There's a report of a Gotha being shot down by Dutch guards at Beerta (?) on 18/4/17 and was set on fire by its  three man crew.

On the same date Dutch Sgt Lok shot down a German plane with a machine gun at Groningen. The two cases may linked.

In November 1917 a German "Parseval balloon" was shot down at Amersfoort . 

So there were some shots that were more than just warning ones.

Hi,

I have in my files 2 Gotha GIV shot down over Holland on 18 August 1917, and not 18 April 1917.

Gotha 1055/16 landed at Beetra (not Beerta) and was salvaged. 

Gotha G IV nr 1059/16 came down at Oude Pekela near Groningen, and was set on fire by the crew. 

Cnock

Thanks Eddy,

this all helps paint a good picture of the risks of venturing over neutral territory!

Do you have any information on where the AA guns were based that brought the Gothas' down? I assume both crews were interned for at least a part of the war?

Any idea how the authorities keep interned crews from opposing sides apart? My understanding was the internees were given a fair amount of freedom, I have one Canadian being allowed to return to Canada.

Mike

Hello Mike,

glad I could help.

I have no info about postions of Flak guns, or internees.

Eddy

Ok no worries Eddy, you have been very helpful.

All these new avenues of research that keep opening up! I must say I quite like the idea of a visit to the Netherlands.