Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieutenant Harold Sidney Taylor

D0t

Me and a friend are searching for photos or information about Lieutenant Harold Sidney Taylor, serving in the 2/5th Hampshire regiment. First joined up in 1916, and went on leave to marry Doris S Hussey in June 1917, he was born in 1887. I have his medal card attached as a picture. His fathers name is William Henry Taylor, and the mothers name is unknown. Any further information or pictures of him, his family, his role in the war or his regiment would be highly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance!

IMG_8873.jpeg

• Admin

@D0t Welcome to the GWF

A rather odd medal index card.  The 2/5 Hampshire Regiment was a second line Territorial Force (TF) Battalion who, in 1916 were serving in India.

See https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/hampshire-regiment/

The MIC shows 'France' as you have seen.

Unfortunately the Medal Roll does not help.  The 2/5 Battalion was posted to Egypt and Palestine later in the war which were theatres of war and therefore would be entitled to both the 'war medals'.

His Commission is in the London Gazette 3 October 1916 https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29773/supplement/9642

To compound the oddity his service record is at TNA but is indexed under Herbert Samuel Taylor

you or your friend will need to visit Kew or ask a researcher to have a look for you (that will be less expensive than the TNA recommendations are on the forum if you search researchers at Kew)

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C737418

The officer records have been weeded so I don't know how much information it will contain.

The other side of his MIC (from Ancestry)shows his address in 1928 as 16 Playdell Avenue, his wife’s name is likely to be Doris Selina

IMG_9948.jpeg

A possible birth date for him on 1939 Census when he was living as a widower in Hampshire with a family of Hussey is 13 Sep 1887. Assistant District Auditor, Minister of Health.

Possibly born in Rothwell, Northamptonshire to mother Eliza nee Walker.

• Admin
1 minute ago, DavidOwen said:

Harold Sidney and Herbert Samuel are two different individuals (images courtesy FMP)

Yes but if you follow the TNA Link provided it says:=

WO 374/67297
Description:

2/Lieutenant Herbert Samuel TAYLOR.

The Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry. 

Also contains papers for 2/Lieutenant Harold Sidney TAYLOR, The Hampshire Regiment.

What those papers are, what they contain etc etc is a mystery until someone looks at them

• Admin
Just now, kenf48 said:

Yes but if you follow the TNA Link provided it says:=

WO 374/67297
Description:

2/Lieutenant Herbert Samuel TAYLOR.

The Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry. 

Also contains papers for 2/Lieutenant Harold Sidney TAYLOR, The Hampshire Regiment.

What those papers are, what they contain etc etc is a mystery until someone looks at them

Yes spotted that Ken which is why I deleted my post.

I am the friend who this post’s user is searching together with. Here is his profile on my family tree, and the information seems to correspond!

IMG_5561.jpeg

3 hours ago, D0t said:

mothers name is unknown

From the picture above showing marriage date, there was a marriage to WALKER Sarah Ann  Kettering 3b287 in Jun 1879.

For a small fee birth certificates showing mother's name are available here https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ 

TAYLOR, HAROLD  SIDNEY  WALKER  

GRO Reference: 1887  D Quarter in KETTERING  Volume 03B  Page 191

Yes thank you all so much! The help we got was extraordinary, and we managed to solve this faster than I had anticipated. With all the sources and info we were provided with here, supported by my grandfather’s own memories (though he didn’t know much, that’s why this whole project started) it is most likely, I say 99,999999% sure that This Lieutenant Harold Sidney Taylor is the same as my great great grand father Harold Sidney Taylor who married Doris Selina Hussey 26th of June 1917. Again I am so impressed by the help we got here, thank you so much!

Wilfred