Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

VC awards stopped for bringing in wounded ?

SKBob

Hello all

I have been reading a local book to me - Under The Griffin's Wing, A Norwich Life by Frederick G G Cobb. In the chapters covering his WW1 service he states that "It was very bad luck for him that just before the citation reached Division Headquarters an edict had been issued by Sir Douglas Haig, who had just succeeded Lord French as Commander - in - Chief of the BE Force that the Victoria Cross would not be awarded in future for acts of bravery in saving, or attempting to save, the lives of wounded soldiers because of the heavy casualties to would - be rescuers."  This was at the time of the Battle of the Somme . . . . . . . . . . . . .   (my underlining).

My understanding is that there were VC winners during and post Somme who were cited for bringing in / saving the wounded ? Perhaps this was something Cobb mistakenly remembered, I believe he wrote his book some 50 years after the war. and just from his recollections, no contemporary notes etc.

If it was something that Haig attempted to introduce and failed I would be interested if anyone has a reference / source.

Many Thanks

Bob

I've only ever seen orders to the effect that 'no man was to help wounded' otherwise everyone would find a wounded man and run back!

TEW

Thanks for the reaction  - it did seem unlikely to me. Not heard it before. I was curious in case Haig might have been advised by his staff to implement and was subsequently and quickly persuaded that it was not a good idea.

Re: your comment - depending upon the circumstances I suppose if you chose to try to help a wounded man and go back toward your lines in a suspicious or dubious scenario you would risk disciplinary consequences, especially during an attack when you might well have an officer's revolver pointed at you -  not to mention being a bigger target for a German bullet.

Bob  

It might depend on who was getting in the wounded, I think. William Coltman VC, DCM* MM* was awarded his for treating and bringing wounded back in October 1918. He was a stretcher bearer though.

His VC citation:
For most conspicuous bravery, initiative and devotion to duty. During the operations at Mannequin Hill, north-east of Sequehart, on the 3rd and 4th of Oct. 1918, L.-Corp. Coltman, a stretcher bearer, hearing that wounded had been left behind during a retirement, went forward alone in the face of fierce enfilade fire, found the casualties, dressed them and on three successive occasions, carried comrades on his back to safety, thus saving their lives. This very gallant NCO tended the wounded unceasingly for 48 hour. 

His DCMs and one of his MMs were awarded for similar actions, I believe. 

His medals are on display at the regimental museum near Lichfield. He was probably the most decorated ordinary serviceman of the war. 

Richard

Military Secretary's Branch 1918 Honours and Awards Section 1 General Instructions para 47.

i.) Rescue of wounded No one other than those whose duty it is to care for the wounded will be rewarded for their rescue

(ii) Cases of the nature of the following may, however, be submitted for immediate reward:-

(a) Rescuing men buried in trenches

(b) Bring wounded men back from a raid, thus preventing the enemy from obtaining identification

(c) Any act specially ordered by an officer to help stretcher bearers in their duties

(iii) The objects in view in thus restricting recommendations are:-

(a) To ensure that the rescue of wounded shall not be allowed to interfere with the employment of every available man for the operations in course of execution

(b) To avoid unnecessary loss of life

(c) To discourage attempts to win honours for the sake of the honours themselves

On 10/04/2024 at 11:39, SKBob said:

an edict had been issued by Sir Douglas Haig, who had just succeeded Lord French as Commander

That happened in early December 1915 whereas the instruction quoted by Squirrel occurred in 1918.

On 10/04/2024 at 11:39, SKBob said:

Frederick G G Cobb. In the chapters covering his WW1 service he states that "It was very bad luck for him that just before the citation reached Division Headquarters an edict had been issued by Sir Douglas Haig, who had just succeeded Lord French as Commander - in - Chief

Does the book give a date for Cobb's actions?