Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte George Platt RIF 29022

Alan Platt

Hi,

I have recently discovered that my relatives served during WW1 and thankfully all survived the war.  Here is what I have been able to discover:

Pte George Platt served in the 2nd Bn, Royal Innis Fusiliers.  He was injured at some stage and I believe discharged as it was a GSW to his hand.  

Grateful if anyone could fill in the gaps or confirm the above.

Regards

Alan

• Admin

Welcome to the forum Alan.

Its probably best if you start a new thread for each soldier, as things can get a bit confusing with multiple soldiers on one thread. 

George Platt -- discharged from the Army on the 25/4/1918 due to wounds. His entry in the Silver War Badge register shows that he had enlisted on the 25/12/1916. (image courtesy of Ancestry)

He was awarded a pension due to his wounds (gun shot wound, left hand) -- image curtesy of the Western Front Association

Platt_SWB.jpg

Platt_29022_pension card 1.jpg

George Platt -- Find My Past hold a medical record for him (image courtesy of FMP) details --

Admitted to -- 34 Casualty Clearing Station (situated at this time at Grovetown, Somme region)

Regiment / Battalion -- 1st battalion, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Company -- 'B'

Service No -- 29022

Rank -- Private

Name -- Platt, G

Age -- 22 years

Army service -- 1 year 5 months

Service in the field -- 7 months (this would indicate that he entered a Theatre of War circa June / July 1916)

Wounds -- Gun Shot Wound left hand

Date of admission -- 30/1/1917

Transferred out -- 1/2/1917 on number 9 Ambulance Train

Platt_29022_medical admission.jpg

Thank you so much for this information it is greatly appreciated. 

Regards

Alan

@Alan Platt -- As Michelle posted, it would be best if you split this thread by starting a new thread for Robert Platt and a new thread for Robert McSeveney and keep this one for George Platt. If you don't know how to do this, please ask Michelle to assist. Separate threads for each soldier would make assistance much easier. Good luck on your searches.

The website 'Lives of the First World War' (part of the Imperial War Museum) have a photographs of him. The link below will take you to it.

Life story: George Platt | Lives of the First World War (iwm.org.uk)

Also, there is a short story to go with it but I can't see it on the site. However, Find My Past have a partial transcription of it ---

Platt_Lives of the First World War.jpg

Edited by Allan1892

• Admin

All three soldiers now have separate threads. Please keep this thread exclusively for George Platt. 

• Michelle Young changed the title to Pte George Platt RIF 29022