Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Questions regarding the Italian Front

ohnonotme

Greetings!

I'm a writer looking to get published in the future and I have a few questions regarding this specific topic. I'm writing a historical fiction set during the Great War but I'm currently only doing research for now. 

1. In the Italian front of the war, did military chaplains stay with the army or were they assigned to other positions outside of giving last rites and final absolution?

2. Were there mercy dogs in the Dolomites?

3. What did Catholic military chaplains look like? Are there photos of them in uniform while in the front lines in the Dolomites?

These are the only questions I can think of for now, I might add more later. Also, sorry for posting these here. I don't know where else to ask them as I've scoured the internet for the answers to them, but they have been insufficient.

Edited by ohnonotme

• Admin

@ohnonotme Welcome to the GWF

There is a lot of information online concerning British Army Chaplains in the Great War.  This is a British site and therefore, for better or worse, aAnglocentric.

e.g. https://www.beaumont-union.co.uk/pdfs/CATHOLIC CHAPLAINS in THE GREAT WAR WW1.pdf

It is not clear whether your query relates to chaplains in the British or Italian Armies.

In general terms British Army Catholic Chaplains were close to their 'flock' but like all chaplains tended to work closely with medical services, e.g at Advanced Dressing Stations, Casualty Clearing Stations and so on.  They would travel around the front to offer religious observance, e.g. Communion etc.  As the above link identifies there was an affinity with Irish Regiments, though by no means exclusive.  I do not believe there were any Irish Regiments in Italy but Scots etc would have had Catholic soldiers and no doubt Catholic Chaplains were posted to that theatre..

See https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/battles/the-campaign-in-italy-2/ for a general introduction to the campaign

Can't answer the question of mercy dogs save to say they were not used in the British Army in the Great War.

There are pictures of British Army Chaplains in uniform in the above link.

Hi

1) They were behind lines but sometimes with stretchbearers on frontline, Army and Regiments had them

2) Probably there were, but mainly I do not remind photos of them. Austrians had some. On Dolomites wounded were difficult to bring them away.

3) Dolomites had simply an overcoat, not the white Alpini camo. The uniform was like the officers, simply with a red cross on the heart and 6 point stars as ranks instead of 5 point stars for Army officers

1. Chaplains were usually to be found at Advanced Dressing Stations, but were also further forward with attacking troops on occasions. 

2. I've never read anything about mercy dogs. Both sides used dogs for pulling sleds at high altitudes (particularly in the Ortler and Adamello sectors), they coped better in the cold than mules.

3. The most famous Italian Catholic chaplain was Don Pietro Zangrando, of the 7th Alpini Regiment, the most famous Austrian one was Feldkurat (Father) Josef Hosp, who was an expert mountaineer and quite happy to shoot and kill enemy soldiers. There was a moment in July 1915 when Hosp and Zangrando occupied opposing mountain peaks. Hosp was putting up a via ferrata on the Toblingerknoten (2671m) while Zangrando was performing a mass at the summit of Cima Grande (3000m).

If you're on Twitter I recommend following @andyblanck1 (Italian, ex-Alpini, very knowledgable about WW1 in Italy), I'm sure he would be happy to help with your research.

And I'm @masaccio60 on Twitter.

Tom

IMG_4873.JPG

IMG_4874.JPG

Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 11.35.09.png

IMG_0232.JPG

chaplains.jpg

There is also a diary in existence written by Don Emilio Campi, parts of which are reproduced in this.

Snapseed.jpeg.b10a7dac789bbf6376ba493eb7e4c006.jpegistence 

Snapseed.jpeg

I seem to be wasting my time here, but....there's this.

IMG_1242.jpg

• Admin

Tagging @ohnonotme

:D

Waahhhh thank you guys for posting these! Sorry I haven't been able to check out the forum for a while.

Happy to help, the Italian front is a bit of an obsession of mine  ;-)