Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Distinctive Marks on Enlistment

jdhamlyn

Hello,

I am curious as to if anyone has knowledge of common distinctive marks or is good at reading old handwriting, as I want to know what the attached document says. I believe I can read some words but I don't really understand what they are meant to represent. Any help is appreciated.

Source: Fold3

Thanks

James

Distinctive Marks.jpg

Edited by jdhamlyn

• Admin

Apart from the moles neck and back, it would appear he had a lot of ink. 
I love AS Lt Calf, (illegible) snake Lt Forearm, Butterly Soldier Girls Bust, True Love Ships Rt Forearm, Snake Sailor  Joined Hands, Dagger (illegible) Arm. (Working from the bottom line up, my dear old Dad always said I was obtuse) 

Could the illegible words perhaps be 'Tree' Snake Lt forearm, and Dagger 'Rt upper' arm?

Edited by Scritch

Hello Michelle, Scritch,

Thank you for your inputs, for some reason the idea of them being tattoos completely slipped my mind, I thought they were some sort of code words for birthmarks and the like. I also just noticed that he has 2 distinctive marks mentioned on this document as well, I assume of the same tattoos.

Source: Fold3

Thanks

James

John Bezer Militia Service.jpg

• Admin

Dot bracelet didn’t appear in the other list I don’t think? 

Ah yeah I see, maybe it was done over by/made a part of "true love ships Rt forearm" as I cant think of any way for them to remove a tattoo in those days.