Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bayonets

Marine

new guy here.  I'm kinda old so I'm not really sure how this works. I thank you in advance for your patience. 

I have several blades that I can't date. can someone please help me?

1712728256429286991679488969802.jpg

Top to bottom:

Canadian M1910 Ross Bayonet

Japanese Type 30 Arisaka bayonet - late war type

Japanese sword of some sort

French M1866 Chassepot bayonet

Hey, thanks! I'm looking for marks on the Japanese blade but there doesn't seem to be any. The scabbard is in two pieces but is obviously hand carved. 

Thanks again. 

One more question. 

Should I oil the blades and clean them? It really bothers me to see rust on such fine blades. But, if preservation is more important than restoration, so be it. 

Thank again. 

The arisaka has never been sharpened. Edge is as dull as a bowling ball with no signs of filing or edging. 

1 hour ago, Marine said:

One more question. 

Should I oil the blades and clean them? It really bothers me to see rust on such fine blades. But, if preservation is more important than restoration, so be it. 

Thank again. 

Yes. Just rub the metalwork over with some fine wire wool lubricated with a good gun oil. Linseed oil for the wood and a good hide food for the leather frog if it is dry and cracking.

Good oiling of blades and metall scabbards would help a little, the Ross has strange barell ring on crosspiece it looks like damaged piece already.

I think the Ross is a m1905 Mk I not a m1910 Mk II.

image.png.17da3e0553c8c71e9fd946f9e08ea25c.png

Mk I as manufactured

image.png.c424c1816591a0af3dd61200c900e573.png

Mk II as manufactured

image.png.442e5bbae4bf88c8fc5ff4d27dc47daa.png

Mk II officially sharpened in UK for war service - 

Mk I's sharpened in the UK will also be encountered

Wow,thanks for the pictures. 

The Ross is, without a doubt, an m1905 Mk I. 

I kind of want to keep all of these. I have others. But do they have any value

On 11/04/2024 at 10:50, Chasemuseum said:

I think the Ross is a m1905 Mk I not a m1910 Mk II.

image.png.17da3e0553c8c71e9fd946f9e08ea25c.png

Mk I as manufactured

image.png.c424c1816591a0af3dd61200c900e573.png

Mk II as manufactured

image.png.442e5bbae4bf88c8fc5ff4d27dc47daa.png

Mk II officially sharpened in UK for war service - 

Mk I's sharpened in the UK will also be encountered

Are the MkIIs I sharpened or Mk1 I sharpened particularly rare?

kind regards

g

In Oz Ross bayonets are not particularly common, while they survive in relatively large numbers in USA and Canada. I do not consider myself competent to comment on the UK and European markets. When I acquired the three in the photos over 30 years ago. At that time the wartime sharpenned models and unsharpenned models appeared to be about in similar numbers here. Mk IIs were more common than Mk Is.

I gave away my sharpenned Mk I to a friend in Canada because it had unusual features specific to his theme of collecting. I ended up not bothering to replace it. The only Ross I have acquired since was a WW1 Royal Navy example in a modified Ross scabbard with a modified P88 bayonet chape. I bought this because it was in a sea service Mk IV frog and I was after the frog.

From the odd review of ebay Canada, (there is always at least 1 Ross on eBay Canada, usually several) the unsharpenned bayonets are much more common in Canada. 

I do not consider the war service sharpenned models as rare. That being said bayonets are funny things. A few years back I intended to get a Turkish m1887 to put with a rifle, when they seemed to be all over the place, and pretty cheap. I left it too late and they now seem hard to find and with crazy prices. 

Edited by Chasemuseum
error

8 minutes ago, Chasemuseum said:

In Oz Ross bayonets are not particularly common, while they survive in relatively large numbers in USA and UK. I do not consider myself competent to comment on the UK and European markets. When I acquired the three in the photos over 30 years ago. At that time the wartime sharpenned models and unsharpenned models appeared to be about in similar numbers here. Mk IIs were more common than Mk Is.

I gave away my sharpenned Mk I to a friend in Canada because it had unusual features specific to his theme of collecting. I ended up not bothering to replace it. The only Ross I have acquired since was a WW1 Royal Navy example in a modified Ross scabbard with a modified P88 bayonet chape. I bought this because it was in a sea service Mk IV frog and I was after the frog.

From the odd review of ebay Canada, (there is always at least 1 Ross on eBay Canada, usually several) the unsharpenned bayonets are much more common in Canada. 

I do not consider the war service sharpenned models as rare. That being said bayonets are funny things. A few years back I intended to get a Turkish m1887 to put with a rifle, when they seemed to be all over the place, and pretty cheap. I left it too late and they now seem hard to find and with crazy prices. 

Much appreciated insight- thanks. I have about 5, just picked up when they were cheap more than anything. 

I wouldn’t profess to know much more about them- however I did splurge on a Ross Story book recently (most expensive reference I own) and have been quietly thumbing through that 

kind regards

g

Snagged a stunning US lend lease Ross bayonet recently with all the fittings but I have now been lost down the rabbit hole of Ross -and it is very interesting to say the least. 

kind regards

g

37 minutes ago, navydoc16 said:

splurge on a Ross Story book recently (most expensive reference I own)

Ouch, I do understand. Thats why I do not have a good reference on the Ross. I bought the Austrian book on WW1 German, Austrian & Italian gas masks last year for my wife to give me as a Christmas present. Great book, was about 30% off but still super expensive.

On 21/04/2024 at 23:55, Chasemuseum said:

Ouch, I do understand. Thats why I do not have a good reference on the Ross. I bought the Austrian book on WW1 German, Austrian & Italian gas masks last year for my wife to give me as a Christmas present. Great book, was about 30% off but still super expensive.

I have not heard of that book, when I went to search it online I could not find it- who is the author?

kind regards

g