Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Discharged - Services no longer required". March 1915. 9th Royal Sussex

alistair_m

Hello Forum members,

Ive come across some unusual entries in the Pension Records for my Great Grandfather, Arthur William WIse (554).  According to the records, Arthur was Attested at Hove on 15th September 1914. He has stated in his Attestation, that he had previous service experience with the 4th VB Essex Regiment.

The Statement of Services for 554, shows
Attested 15/9;
Promoted to Corporal 15/9;
Promoted to Orderly Room QMS 16/9 (previous rank)
Appointed Regimental QMS 16/11
Appointed WOII 28/1/15
Reduced to Private 23/2/15
Discharged Services being no longer required 20/3/15

In the same document collection, there exists a near duplicate of the above information, with some entries crossed out but the addition of the following paragraph:
Guard Detention Room.  Awaiting trial.  Fined by D.G.M and sentenced to be reduced to the ranks and 28 days detention, as an offence of a significant nature. 23/2/15

Im trying to work out whats happened here....a rapid rise in Rank - followed by an even hastier demotion and then booted out as "services no longer required"

Any assistance would be most appreciated 

Many Thanks
Alistair

It says the offence was of a fraudulent nature.

You certainly couldn't have a QMS then WOII with any kind of blemish.

No idea what he actually did though.

TEW

Has he knocked off a few years off his age?

He says he's 39 & 2 months in Sept 14.

Birth record I think is his suggests he's 42.

TEW

TEW - I think you might be right...and possibly thats not the only issue on his attestation - Im wondering about his claim to have served in the Esssex Volunteers.  The note against his promotion to ORQMS refers to previous rank - which I assume means he was given a rank comparable to what he was claiming in previous service.  I managed to find an entry in the DCM Register of Charges and it makes reference to Military Offence S18 5A - which I believe is fraudulently altering a document.  It does however suprise me that In March 1915 - they were prepared to let him go as ""services no longer required".

Many thanks for your help

Alistair 

Alistair, the ORQMS had access to financial aspects, and aided the Adjutant in running the battalion orderly room, which was the absolute centre of unit administration, including discipline.  If he was found making any false statement, or fraudulently altering documentation, it would be entirely normal to be out on his ear I’m afraid.  Such matters were dealt with very strictly for all ranks.

Edited by FROGSMILE

On 10/04/2024 at 19:13, FROGSMILE said:

Alistair, the ORQMS had access to financial aspects, and aided the Adjutant in running the battalion orderly room, which was the absolute centre of unit administration, including discipline.  If he was found making any false statement, or fraudulently altering documentation, it would be entirely normal to be out on his ear I’m afraid.  Such matters were dealt with very strictly for all ranks.

That sounds extremely plausible.  I understand from family members who met the man, that he also spent some considerable time in prison at some point.  Whether this was to do with this incident or not, I don't know....but it all begins to paint a picture.  

Many thanks for the input. 

Alistair