Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help understanding ASC service record

WordlessSong

Hi everyone, I am looking for some help deciphering some various acronyms/unit numbers on the service record of my great-grandfather Frank S Wood (M2/113868).

He volunteered in for the A.S.C in June 1915 and, as he was able to drive due to working as a chauffeur prewar, found himself out in France barely a month later. For the first nine months or so he was part of the newly formed 11th Motor Ambulance Convoy as an ambulance driver. He then spends several months invalided back home to England due to bronchitis. Upon his return to France in August 1916, his B.103 form lists his various attachments and postings as follows:

January 1917 - Electric Light Unit

May 1917 - Wireless Depot Coy. RE

September 1917 - GHQ Signals Coy. RE

January 1918 - L Corps Signals Coy. RE

I also have a letter from him in 1920 requesting his army record in support of applying for a job as a tram driver with London County Council and where he gives a brief overview of his own service, included mention of being attached to both XV Corps and XI Corps.

I was wondering if anyone might be able to shed light on these various attachments/point me in the direction of archival material relating to them? His service record seems remarkably well preserved so it would be great to flesh out as much info as possible. Sadly, he died relatively young just after the end of WW2 so I never came close to knowing him, and my own grandfather very seldom spoke about him.

I have attached photos of his B.103 along with the aforementioned letter for a bit of context, any insights people may have would be very gratefully received, thanks!

Full Service Record.jpg

Full Service Record II.jpg

Letter requesting Army record.jpg

• Admin

It looks like he had tubercule of lung and phthisis (tuberculosis) 11/3/16, and was also in an isolation hospital in 1915. 

That's certainly true for battalion war diaries, however my Grandfather's MT Company war diary names 24 NCOs and ORs.

Edited by Gardenerbill