Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Step Grandfathers Medals

Driver Higgs

This is my Step grandfather and his Great War medals….. nothing amazing.He was mobilised August 1st (or thereabouts).. sailed from Edinburgh to Ireland and then to France.The photo was taken on his wedding day …Christmas Eve 1913 to my Grandmother.

He survived the Great War

IMG_1304.jpeg

Good to see the photograph displayed with his medals.

Sue

“Nothing special “ ? 
A photograph, a complete trio of medals and it contains a ‘14 star meaning he was there near enough at the start. 
Countless members seek the ‘missing’ piece to complete their family history. 
You have what I consider should become an heirloom , I’d love my grandads medals.
Thanks for posting.

Simon

Thanks all for your comments

mancpal…. When I said “nothing special” I was doing my stepgrandad a disservice,everybody who took part in The Great War was a hero. I take your comments on board.I have his diary from August 1st 1914 to January 9 1915… just everyday events in his life.He was a Driver in the RFA.. so wasn’t in the trenches. I have his Princess Mary metal box, sadly nobody knows his wartime experience after his diary finishes,his military records were destroyed in the Blitz.He was a professional soldier and was in India at some stage (Ive photos of him with his regiment) Buttons from his uniform are my cufflinks

IMG_0068.jpeg

IMG_0588.jpeg

Do you know his service Number?

David

davidda16… there’s a number in his diary..

54779 …that could be his number… I know his name and possibly his number are stamped on his medals… but they are framed up as y’can see

Aye… that’s Frank Higgs… my Dads stepfather 

download.png

Somewhere RussT I have some photocopies from his units war diary… think he was in Italy at some stage.One the entries in his diary made me smile sadly…”sharpened the edge of Mr B’s sword”… Mr B was an officer with Franks battery,as my Dad commented “Y’cant go up against the enemy machine guns with a blunt sword0!

Davidda16…… I have never seen that medal information regarding Frank ever!!!… kinda shook me a lot!!!

Cant thank you enough for finding and showing me and everyone that!!!

20 minutes ago, Driver Higgs said:

Davidda16…… I have never seen that medal information regarding Frank ever!!!… kinda shook me a lot!!!

Cant thank you enough for finding and showing me and everyone that!!!

your'e welcome, unfortunately i have let my Ancestory.com account lapse so i cant dig up any more information.

maybe other members could take a look

David

After a long  search I found this information ,I’d written for Franks personal record to the Royal Artillery Institution in 1983..and they sent me this,along with a page describing the order of battle.In Frank’s diary some locations are mentioned (Ypres for instance… I was there 2 years ago at the Menin Gate service where I took his diary back after over 100 yrs)

IMG_1308.jpeg

IMG_1307.jpeg

IMG_1309.jpeg