Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military courtesies on the front line.

kerry

Done. many thanks.

19 hours ago, healdav said:

In the late 1950s/ early 60s at a normal grammar school, it was surnames only both between the boys and the teachers.

At my grammar school we called female teachers “Sir” too!

3 hours ago, kerry said:

Thanks again @FROGSMILE - I Googled Goodbye to All That but couldn;t readily identify an unexpurgated copy. Would any modern copy do the scene-setting job just as well?

Yes, I think that the modern iterations are possibly the unexpurgated versions anyway Kerry, but not 100% sure. It doesn’t really matter anyway as it’s the narrative that’s important rather than whether this officer or that officer is identified by his real name.  This is the cheapest one that I could find online with free postage: https://www.awesomebooks.com/book/9780140014433/goodbye-to-all-that-penguin-modern-classics/used?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwlN6wBhCcARIsAKZvD5juiZQcTsP7bK0OmEy6wX2I2cyOMjKSbs364ULDMwKl3hCzS1b3eIcaAuFuEALw_wcB

There are also audiobooks for under £10 if you prefer it, but a print enables you to highlight passages for future reference, which might be useful.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you.  I actually managed to buy a scond hand copy and download the oone from your previous link - si ots of manterial to work from. Apologies that you went to the trouble of pulling together the link above.

1 hour ago, kerry said:

Thank you.  I actually managed to buy a scond hand copy and download the oone from your previous link - si ots of manterial to work from. Apologies that you went to the trouble of pulling together the link above.

No problem Kerry, I’m glad to help and I’m sure you’ll find it an interesting read.  The original publication was accused of exaggeration, and it was certainly deliberately written in a controversial style in order to guarantee sales, but the underlying aspects are compelling enough, and very informative.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin

The 1957 version is the widely available one, which is the expurgated version.

5 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

The 1957 version is the widely available one, which is the expurgated version.

Thanks Michelle, I did fear that might be the case as the unexpurgated was only published with a relatively limited print run.  For Kerry’s purposes I don’t think that it will matter though.