Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is it possible to research Merchant Navy (Mercantile Marine) with only a name? - George Stephens

Hi all

I have in my collection a Mercantile Marine War Medal named to a 'George Stephens' on the rim, Unfortunately no middle initial included on the medal either so this is all I have to go off. 

Is it possible to do any further reliable research on this recipient or is the lack of info on MN medals compared to the BWM & VM (service No etc) make this impossible? I have never researched anything to do with the MN before so unsure. 

Thanks in advance for any help!
Tom

Ancestry has them indexed. Gives this for George. You will struggle to eliminate any of them unless you have more evidence

View Record Name Birth Date Year Issued
Search results
View Record Name Birth Date Year Issued
George Stephens
1914-1925
George Stephens
1914-1925
George Stephens
1914-1925
George Stephens
1914-1925
George Stephens
1914-1925
Harry George Stephens
1914-1925
William George Stephens
1914-1925

11 minutes ago, corisande said:

Ancestry has them indexed. Gives this for George. You will struggle to eliminate any of them unless you have more evidence

Thanks for your reply @corisande. It is as I suspected then. Unfortunately all I have to go off is the name on the medal. 

I acquired it some years ago and came as is, no associated BWM (which I know some were awarded with but possible also just with a name so might not help anyway) or paperwork etc. 

The Mercantile Marine records for 1913 to 1919 were destroyed in 1969. For those that served after this time, there are some records available via FindMyPast.