Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

51st Division in France

anthony

Hi,

Became aware recently-ish of account by R.B Ross of 51st Div in France-interested in particular of anyone who may have details of embarkation in early May 1915-name of transport/voyage etc.

If you have read the account I would be grateful of your input , particularly regarding the 1/4th Kings Own which I am doing my best to research.

Cheers,

Anthony

I don't know the name of the ship, but the voyage was Folkestone - Boulogne and took place on May 3rd. The transport had left Southampton earlier, bound for Havre.

Dave.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I have the Wadham and Crossley history as I mentioned in my other thread(sorry for duplicating).

I was just a little surprised that there was no mention of the name of the transport,the channel crossing, weather conditions etc. in any of the contemporary accounts of the day such as letters to local newspapers which generally give a good flavour of the first year of the war for the Kings Own.

Cheers

Anthony <_<

Hi,

Became aware recently-ish of account by R.B Ross of 51st Div in France-interested in particular of anyone who may have details of embarkation in early May 1915-name of transport/voyage etc.

If you have read the account I would be grateful of your input , particularly regarding the 1/4th Kings Own which I am doing my best to research.

Cheers,

Anthony

The book, "The Fifty-First in France" by Capt Robert B Ross, Gordon Highlanders, published in 1918. I'm absolutely ashamed to say I have a copy which I acquired years ago and have never read (it's on the list, honest). Looking at it, Capt Ross's Bn went over on the 'Onward'. The Bn left Beford at 6.30 pm, entrained at Ampthill military siding at 7.30, reached Folkestone at 20 past midnight (Alastair Darling wasn't running the railways then), and were in France (Boulogne) before dawn.

The ship belonged to the South Eastern and Chatam Railway. Capt Ross's Bn was the 1/7th Gordons.

There - I've read more of the book in ten minutes than in about 20 years!!!

Send a PM if you want more.

Hi,

Cheers,

Anthony

You are aware of the 1/4th King's Own History, I assume?

I have a copy if you want anything looking up

Regards,

Ken

Ken,

Thanks for the reply. I have the history, it was the little extra detail about the voyage overseas in particular that it did not have that was interesting me.

Steven, glad you could help and pleased I helped in some small way with your long overdue reading material! :P

As I was saying it is the 1/4th KORL that are of primary interest but the mention you have found of the "Onward" is very interesting and offers me an interesting research possibility-that is the first mention of any ship I have encountered related to the crossing of the 51st Division in May 1915.

I will pm you with my e-mail address.

Many thanks,

Anthony ;)