Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1907 Sword Bayonet Mandrel MkII Help

navydoc16

Bit of an odd one but I dragged this out to catalogue it and I thought I would both share it and ask a question. 

it is a bayonet mandrel, they are somewhat uncommon and weren’t part of a standard unit armourers kit out (at least in Australia”

Whilst I was writing up a description I realised I don’t know the maker, is anyone familiar with the maker of this bayonet mandrel tool? I can approximate from the start of Walsall- that I am missing the starting letter of the maker 

looking at other mandrel photos online it says:

?VOUCHER  SCABBARD SWORD BAYO.

WALSALL           MK . II                   /07

931020C5-5773-4A44-9873-DB3A560A941B.jpeg

6FFC3133-514E-45D6-A6F6-18C908810EDD.jpeg

4336E7EE-D7BD-449F-A792-8DCCCF86C418.jpeg

0A43EC7C-EDE7-4334-B6F2-DE690C27C01C.jpeg

ED040EE2-B2C5-49A2-8D0B-CB1B1150D616.jpeg

3AE828B5-F6B0-4B72-A153-04D49AC47839.jpeg

882EBF5D-85DD-40DA-B61A-F4215C8B56D3.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

I’m afraid I can’t help with the maker, but would it be possible to get some measurements? I’ll be rehabbing some scabbards that are falling apart, and a mandrel would sure be handy. I was thinking about making one out of mild steel. I’d be very interested to know the thickeners of both the blade and the handle, as well as the length of the blade.

Edited by Alex R

Actually, I think I can help with the maker after all. It was likely Voucher Limited, which was located in Walsall, England. According to a 1919 advert, the company made taps, dies, reamers, gauges, etc.

IMG_5364.jpeg

Edited by Alex R

1 hour ago, Alex R said:

Actually, I think I can help with the maker after all. It was likely Voucher Limited, which was located in Walsall, England. According to a 1919 advert, the company made taps, dies, reamers, gauges, etc.

IMG_5364.jpeg

That’s amazing mate I love it, what were you trying to fix on your scabbards? 

kind regards

g

I one instance, substantial rust has taken hold, and I’ll need to pull the locket and chape for cleaning and boiling.

In another instance, I have an original locket and chape that I would like to fit to reproduction leather, if possible.

In both instances, it would be nice to have a mandrel to help clinch the staples.

Edited by Alex R

8 minutes ago, Alex R said:

I one instance, substantial rust has taken hold, and I’ll need to pull the locket and chape for cleaning and boiling.

In another instance, I have an original locket and chape that I would like to fit to reproduction leather, if possible.

In both instances, it would be nice to have a mandrel to help clinch the staples.

Hi mate no problem I’ll PM you some details 

kind regards

g

Much obliged!

can I ask mate, how did you find the ad for Voucher Ltd. I couldn’t find anything on it for a long time

Kind regards

g

I did a targeted (1907-1930) search for “Voucher” and “Walsall” within the Google Books database to see what turned up. I reasoned that the company likely manufactured a wide range of items, so I left out “mandrel” from the search terms. If nothing had turned up there, I would have then consulted three other databases I use pretty regularly (I’m a historian by trade). Fortunately, a good match turned up fairly quickly.

Edited by Alex R

20 minutes ago, Alex R said:

I did a targeted (1907-1930) search for “Voucher” and “Walsall” within the Google Books database to see what turned up. I reasoned that the company likely manufactured a wide range of items, so I left out “mandrel” from the search terms. If nothing had turned up there, I would have then consulted three other databases I use pretty regularly (I’m a historian by trade). Fortunately, a good match turned up fairly quickly.

Much appreciated for the exp- I have not done that before but will try again later. There is several other companies I want to search up. 

kind regards

g