Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1918 Webley MkVI questions

Ghostdevilguy

I picked this up in a trade last night, it's a numbers matching mkvi with some intriguing stuff. The original serial number has a line through it 385xxx and has a second one added N2xxx. Both numbers are on the main parts, barrel, frame, cylinder, and the 2nd number is on the smaller parts, hammer, triggerguard, latch.... I'm guessing it's an armory rebuild number? It has a very worn marking on the back of the grip, looks to be B.W.R 2.6 or S.6. Unfortunately it looks to have been shaved, I know not to shoot factory 45 acp though it. The bore is excellent, and everything works as it should. It also appears to be lacking the sold out of service markings.

I used to be on several now defunct Surplus fourms as Ghostdevilguy, that was meant to be my username here as well but I hit an I instead of an O 🤦‍♂️🤣

Thanks for any information you can give me. And let me know if you need anymore information or pictures 

IMG_20240406_231358.jpg

d6ab1c70-c8b5-42fb-8e63-8e40a3be868a.jpg

20240407_001856.jpg

Welcome,

I’m wondering if your BWR is actually 2 W.R., 2nd battalion the Worcestershire Regiment.

http://oldmilitarymarkings.com/brit_bayo.html

Dave.

Well, with as worn as it is, I can't say for certain, but now that you mention it, it does look more like a 2 

Somewbody here once wrote of a buy-back scheme shortly after WW1 that offered to purchase Webleys taken into civilian life by demobbed soldiers, in order to meet persistent shortages in the services. I was wondering if this piece had been bought back into 'N'aval service and re-marked, then subsequently resold for export.

I asked the same question on another fourm. The N prefix is more than likely an Irish serial number