Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Zealand service records

GraemeClarke

Hi,

Can someone help with New Zealand service records. Sample attached.

It states enlisted on 8 October 1917 and then service reckons from 7 February 1918. Many of these latter dates are the same ie 25 July 1918.

I don't think these latter dates are mobilisation dates. In this case I see on his record a date of 8 February 1918 as 'arriving at station' or just 'N.Z.' It is not his embarkation date.

In the second (yellow) example he attested on 28 September 1917 and appears to have been mobilised on 1 May 1918. So what is the 25 July 1918 date ?

Can anyone please confirm what they are ?

Regards,

Graeme

FL22665605.jpg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by GraemeClarke

Date of commencement of active service. 

Edited by thetrenchrat22
Wrong spelling

Posted (edited)

Morning,

many thanks for replying.

Why is the date of attesting (28.9.17) different to the date of commencement of 'active service' (25.7.18) different from his 'service' date in New Zealand (1.5.18)  ??

Any ideas ?

Regards,

Graeme

Edited by GraemeClarke

54 minutes ago, GraemeClarke said:

Morning,

many thanks for replying.

Why is the date of attesting (28.9.17) different to the date of commencement of 'active service' (25.7.18) different from his 'service' date in New Zealand (1.5.18)  ??

Any ideas ?

Regards,

Graeme

No idea but could the latter date be the date he was warned that he was being posted on actual service overseas before leaving New Zealand on the 1st August 

Cheers, that seems a possibility. Most strange way of recording.

Graeme

It all seems logical to me. 1.5.18 would be the date he started recruit training, on 25.7.18 he was now trained and fit for active service and probably given the usual embarkation leave. The change to active service would affect any punishment necessary, e.g. failing to report for embarkation.

Charlie

Sorry to be a bit dense, but where does 25th July 1918 appear on the first two images?

Posted (edited)

Charlie2,

Cheers for that. Some records even state 'left home on ...... arrived camp on .....'

Dai

I was referring to the last one.

Graeme

Edited by GraemeClarke