Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Robert King, Scottish Rifles & Labour Corps

Robert King

Trying to obtain information on Robert King served in the Scottish Rifles Labour Corps. during WW1, discharged 28/05/1918. Discharge notice 288186. Thanks Robert K. 

• Michelle Young changed the title to Robert King, Scottish Rifles & Labour Corps
  • Admin

Welcome to the forum. Here is his medal index card ©️ Ancestry. You will see he first served in theatre of war 2b Balkans, (Gallipoli) Given his 4 digit number which is indicative of a territorial battalion, I would say he’s either 1/7 or 1/8 Btn. The medal rolls, which I don’t have access to, should confirm which. 

IMG_1076.jpeg

• Admin
31 minutes ago, Robert King said:

Trying to obtain information on Robert King served in the Scottish Rifles Labour Corps. during WW1, discharged 28/05/1918. Discharge notice 288186. Thanks Robert K. 

The “discharge notice” is his Labour Corps number. Men did not have unique numbers until 1920. If a man changed regiment, he changed number. 

The medals roll indicates 8th Battalion Scottish Rifles. Few pension cards with limited info. One has a middle name Alexander

Edited by Mark1959

Thanks for your help. His middle name is Alexander and his name is only shown as Robert King in the Army Form B booklet I have. I’m hoping to get some background on his time spent during WW1. I’m really not sure what questions I should be asking. Appreciate any help you’re able to offer. Robert K. 

there are some discharge docs. Indicate shrapnel wound left foot. Doc say Mediterranean force 18/5/15 to 8/8/15. Enlisted 28/8/14. Gamekeeper. Wounded 28/6/15 slight. transferred to Labour Corps 7/7/17. Discharged permanently unfit.

Silver War Badge Roll confirms above but are under Alexander King

• Admin

The war diaries for the Gallipoli campaign and Egypt  are not  digitalised, but can be viewed at the National Archives. 

1/7th Battalion
August 1914 : at Victoria Road in Glasgow. Part of Scottish Rifle Brigade, Lowland Division. When this battalion was formed in 1908 it drew upon the old 3rd Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers. This unit had formed the Third Lanark Football Club, which existed as a professional club until 1967 and is now resurrected as an amateur side. Moved to Grangemouth on completing mobilisation.
11 May 1915 : formation became 156th Brigade, 52nd (Lowland) Division.
Sailed from Liverpool on 24 May 1915, going via Egypt to Gallipoli, arriving there 14 June 1915.
1 July 1915: after taking heavy casualties, temporarily merged with 1/8th Bn. Resumed identity 21 February 1916.
January 1916: moved via Mudros to Egypt.
17 April 1918 : moved with Division and landed at Marseilles for service in France.

1/8th Battalion
August 1914 : at 149 Cathedral Street in Glasgow. Part of Scottish Rifle Brigade, Lowland Division.
Record same as 1/7th Bn.
28 June 1918 : transferred to 103rd Brigade, 34th Division.

Thanks, Michelle Young has posted a link which I’ll follow. Thanks for your time. Robert. 

The 28/6/15, is the Battle of Gully Ravine on Gallipoli. The 8th Sco. rifles suffered heavy casualties and is the likely location of his wounding

The War Diary of the 8th Bn Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) for June 1915 gives details of the operations.

Courtesy of TNA, I'm attaching my transcription of those pages from the War Diary.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

8th Bn SRs - WD - 1915 06_Page_02.jpg

8th Bn SRs - WD - 1915 06_Page_04.jpg

8th Bn SRs - WD - 1915 06_Page_06.jpg

8th Bn SRs - WD - 1915 06_Page_08.jpg

8th Bn SRs War Diary p13 of 46 1915 Jun - Appndx 1 p1.jpg

8th Bn SRs War Diary p14 of 46 1915 Jun - Appndx 1 p2.jpg

8th Bn SRs War Diary p15 of 46 1915 Jun - Appndx 1 p3.jpg

8th Bn SRs War Diary p16 of 46 1915 Jun - Appndx 1 p4 snippet.jpg

Great information Tom, I’m slowly gathering information about my Grandfather’s time during the war years. Thanks Robert.