Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gonca - Turkish Minelayer veteran of the Dardanelles campaign?

michaeldr

What ship? - A report in today's Turkish newspaper - https://www.dailysabah.com/arts/rahmi-kocs-gonca-steamship-wins-top-honors-in-uks-classic-boat-awards/news suggests that the 'Gonca' took part in the Dardanelles campaign, but I'm having difficulties finding a link

From the 'Mitchell Report' p.488 - Minelayers Employed.—During 1914 and 1915 the minelayers 'Nousret,' 'Intibah,' 'Selamlık' and 'Samsun' were employed laying the Dardanelles minefields, but from 1916 onwards 'Nousret' only was so employed.”

[Also - The name Gonca does not appear in the Report's Appendix B, p.499] *

From the DS article - “After the Gallipoli Campaign, Gonca was towed to Gonca Cove near the Naval Base in Gölcük, taking its current name, where it was used as a transport ship by the Turkish Naval Forces until 1989.” - Does this mean that the ship was known by another name in 1915? - If so, which was it - 'Intibah,' 'Selamlık' or 'Samsun'?

The only one I can find details on at the moment is the Samsun, but per Janes, her dimensions do not quite fit: Quote from DS - “The ship, 32 meters (10.5ft  Oh Dear, Oh Dear! Apologies for a misplaced decimal point: 105ft ) long with a width of 6 meters (19.7ft) and a depth of 3.25 meters (10.7ft) ... ?  [Janes has for Intibah - “No details known”]

* edit to add 

image.jpeg.33031408cc1ea834d781df5229f6d728.jpeg

Edited by michaeldr
Misplaced decimal point!

The German built, Ottoman destroyer Gayret-i Vataniye ran aground on a reef off Varna at the end of October 1916. Her crew removed all useful equipment before blowing-up the wreck - it’s definitely not the same ship as the Gonca (they are nothing alike).

She could however (possibly) be a reincarnation of what was formerly the Selanik, which in March 1915 transported mines to Nusret at Canakkale.

MB

MB, Thanks for your in-put here

I'm beginning to think that there were two boats with very similar names, but different characteristics, which have become confused here
Gayret (translates as Endeavour) the minelayer
and the 'Gayret-i Vataniye' which translates as National Endeavour which was the ex-German SS138-class torpedo boat

Gayret
Type: Mayin dökme gemi (minelayer)
Builder: Wigham Richardson & Co., Newcastle [see http://www.tynetugs.co.uk/shannon1885.html
Displacement: 144gt, 37nt, 130t
Dimentions: L 30.6m, B 5.8m, D 3.4m
Hull: Iron
Machinery: Steam, 1 shaft
Engine: 1 compound 2 cycle vertical, 70nhp,  A Shanks & Son
Boiler: 1 Scotch
Speed: (1914) 9knts
Bunkers: _
Complement: _
Armament: (1914) 15 mines

Gayret (Yd No.86)  
(edited history – for full details see p.189 of Ottoman Steam Navy & above Tyne Tugs page)
Ordered: 1885
Laid down: 1885.   Launched: 1885
Trials: 1885 – named Shannon (E.A. Gore, Limerick)
1890 – named Harlequin (B. Nicholson, Limerick) & converted to salvage tug
18.6.1907 – sold to Ottoman Govt., & named Gayret
30.7.1914 – Convt. into minelayer by Tersane-i Amire, Istanbul

The text of the Ottoman Steam Navy is unclear and they too may have confused the two ships
e.g: page 29  
“14-16 August 1914: Selanik and Giresun lay mine barrages from Çanakkale. Nümume-i Hamiyet and Gayret-i Vataniye join flotilla from Izmit”
I think that this could well be a ref to the minelayer and not to the torpedo boat: ie to Gayret (and not to Gayret-i Vataniye)

Probably barking up the wrong tree but the Wikipedia entry for a  Turkish ship named Gonca states that it was originally named Selanik and was used as a minelayer during the First World War.

German Naval records for the  Great War, digitised and available from NARA, show a ship named Selanik. One document describes it as part of the Minendienst whilst I have attached a rather more explicit reference below, see third column from right line 14. Image courtesy NARA , reference RG 242  T1022-1410-320. Other documents list it as a  "minendampfer" though another has it serving as a Lotsenschlepper . No KTB seems to be available from NARA and BAMA has nothing that I can find in the catalogue.

T1022-1410-00320resized.jpg.5ba9ff2efc4e8527aec753c4f5e13e93.jpg

I think that if we are ever going to solve the conundrum then we have to move away from the unsubstantiated infomation shown on Wiki and seek primary source verification.

According to Lloyd’s register of shipping ‘Selanik’ started out as a German built steam tug.

The ship was operating in Selanik (now Thesalonika) up until 1912 when Greece captured the port, after which (thanks to help from the French) the ship escaped Greek hands and was subsequently acquired by the Ottoman government and converted to a mine layer.

What we currently lack is any authenticated verification that ‘Selanik’ and ‘Gonca’ are in fact one and the same (despite some claiming it to be). I also appreciate that post-war the vessel appears to have been repurposed and underwent conversion into a passenger steamer. 

I’m confident that there must be enough of a footprint to hunt down the vessel’s history, but I’m afraid that I don’t have time for that today.

MB

Edited by KizmeRD

Hi,

I talked to the German author of the book "The Ottoman Steam Navy".  From memory this is what he told me:

Built as Salonika renamed Selanik around 1913, renamed Gonça around 1925 (named after a village near the Navy yard of that period) and used as a ferry to transport shipyard workers to the yard from the 1940s to 1970s. The photo published in Daily Sabah shows a heavily altered deck based on the appearance of the ship as ferry. The author had visited the ship a few times before it became a yacht later on and knows it quite well.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Posted (edited)

This article https://www.7deniz.net/kiymeti-bilinmeyen-bir-kahraman-romorkor-selanik-romorkoru also refers to Lloyds List

I wonder if it's the same edition that MK saw? 

If I've understood it correctly, the article proposes that the boat built in 1872 is today's Gonca.
However, is the is description which LL gives, “IronSe3MstSr,” that of a tug?

The quest here is plagued by ships of the same, or very similar names. *
So I wonder then if this 1872 boat is not actually the similarly named Selanik which the Russians sank in May 1915?
From the The Ottoman Steam Navy (see p.47) 
“9 May 1915: The Russian destroyers Derzkiy and Bespokoyniy enter the harbour at Kozlu at 0545hrs and shell mining installations and coaling stages, and sink the collier Selanik.” 
This sinking is also given in The Mitchell Report - see page 219, Appendix B, which appears to be based on information supplied by the Turks in 1918/9

The LL shown in the above link also gives the engine as being “2 cylinder, 122 nhp.”
However, Classic Boat  of October 27, 2023, has the Gonca's engine as “Triple-expansion steam, 550hp”
Likewise The Ottoman Steam Navy has a similar specification for the tug/minelayer 

Selanik

Type: Mayin dokme gemi (minelayer) 
Builder: 
Displacement: 270t 
Dimensions:
Hull: Steel
Machinery: Steam, 1 shaft 
Engine: 1 triple 3 cyl 
Boiler: 1 
Speed: (1911) 12kts 
Bunkers:
Complement:
Armament: (1911) 1-37mm QF, 25 mines
…................................................................................

The Classic Boat article asks - “The question is: are the Selanik – whose fate is unknown – and Gonca the same ship?” Good Question! And still not clear.

*Footnote: the Ottoman Steam Navy also shows another  'Selanik' in the Aegean, in March 1866 – see Appendix 3, p.193

Edited by michaeldr

IronSc3MstSr describes a iron hulled screw driven auxiliary 3 masted schooner. 

This sailing vessel is 230 foot long according to Lloyds

Tony

57 minutes ago, MerchantOldSalt said:

Well, nobody seems to have taken note of what I wrote, but nonetheless like Tony I do not think that the Gonça pictured in the newspaper article is almost 77 meters long. It´s more around the 30 meters that are given for the tug that, according to the author of The Ottoman Steam Navy was the former Salonika and became the Selanik around 1912/13 and then Gonça around 1925. Author Langensiepen just confirmed that the Selanik of 1872 is the ship sunk 1915. The Gonça had the tripple expansion engine also mentioned in Classic Boats.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Thanks for clearing that up GreyC, and I can only repeat the warning that (although it generally does a good job) - not everything you read in Wiki is true.

MB

1 minute ago, KizmeRD said:

Thanks for clearing that up GreyC

Pleasure!

GreyC

8 hours ago, MerchantOldSalt said:

IronSc3MstSr describes a iron hulled screw driven auxiliary 3 masted schooner. 

Tony

Tony

Many thanks for that clarification

regards, Michael