Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Collingwood Battalion

Allan1892

I'm a bit perplexed -- the man that I am researching, John Hutchinson Kerss enlisted into the Collingwood Battalion on the 19/1/1915 -- he was demobilised on the 9/5/1915 to return to his civilian job as a plater at Palmer's Shipbuilding Co.

His record card (image courtesy of National Archives) shows that on 26/10/1917 he joined 3rd Battalion, B/262, C.P. Depot

I can't find any reference to a 3rd Collingwood Battalion, can anyone come up with an answer?

Kerss.jpg

46 minutes ago, Allan1892 said:

I can't find any reference to a 3rd Collingwood Battalion, can anyone come up with an answer?

That refers to the 3rd (Training) Battalion at RND Depot Crystal Palace. Recruits were given initial training in the CP training battalions before being drafted on to RND battalions - in this case to the newly-formed (post-Antwerp) Collingwood in January 1915. The date is a typo - it should be 26.10.14, his Date of Entry.

The new Collingwood Bn. formed up at CP and remained there until early February 1915 when they moved to Blandford Camp.

Edited by horatio2

His Ship's Book No. B/262 shows that he was in 'B' Company of 3rd (Training) Bn.

It may be worth noting that the Recruit Training course syllabus at Crystal Palace was of five weeks duration. KERSS probably completed this by the end of November 1914, to be followed by seven weeks of Advanced Training (comprising three weeks of Platoon Training, three weeks of Company Training and one week of field firings). 19 Jan 1915 is the likely date for his draft across to Collingwood Bn. at CP, having completed this twelve weeks of training.

From March 1915 (when the RND battalions had left for the Dardanelles) Advanced Training would be moved from CP and into the 1st and and Reserve Battalions RND at Blandford Camp.

Demobilisation on his last day with Collingwood, 9 May 1915,  coincides with that battalion leaving Blandford for Devonport on 10 May to embark for Gallipoli.

@horatio2 -- Thank you for the explanation of his training. The military obviously thought that his skills were better put to use in the shipyard at Hebburn.