Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Family stays HMS Dreel Castle

Nannysavior

I've always known my grandmother had a brother born in Falmouth & another brother died/buried there while their father was based HMS Dreel Castle. Ernest William Inch b 24.4.82 in Yarmouth/lived Grimsby no. ES2201 served 26.2.15 to 1.3.19 with Halcyon & Vivid on his record in 1915 then nothing later? Always wondered if it was common for wives & children to visit, also the travel arrangements between Grimsby & Cornwall? I've several letters & postcards between them too. His wife was Harriet  & his Falmouth sons:-

George Charles Inch d. 26.12.17 age 10yr

Alec Inch b. July 1918 d. Dunkirk 29.5.40

Screenshot_20240406-111820_Ancestry.jpg

Please see your other topic (not a good idea to run two topics on the same man)on Ernest INCH for details of his service.

3 hours ago, Nannysavior said:

Ernest William Inch b 24.4.82 in Yarmouth

His RNR record shows his d.o.b. 24 Apr 1880 and p.o.b. Grimsby   -   https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8665808

3 hours ago, Nannysavior said:

Always wondered if it was common for wives & children to visit, also the travel arrangements between Grimsby & Cornwall?

There was nothing to prevent a man moving his family by train from Grimsby to Falmouth, temporarily or permanently.

Sorry, didn't realise I had posted twice - I thought I'd responded to someone's query with the first one. Many thanks