Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown cap badge

Robert Elliott

Attached is a copy of a photograph of a soldier (and his Mother?) who I believe to be relatives although I have not yet identified them. For the soldier there are two candidates, both of whom enlisted in the King's (Liverpool) Regiment in 1915. One subsequently transferred to the Labour Corps.

I was hoping the cap badge would help narrow him down or at least confirm it is one of the two men, but there are no details decipherable on the badge that I can see. Sadly, the original image (possibly an enlistment postcard style) is lost. Also, I do not recognise the shape of the badge as being related to either regiment. Could anyone hazard a guess or make any suggestions that might help? I realise it's a long shot, but the forum has never failed me before!

Thanks,

Rob.

17123883625107681099804628137200.jpg

• Admin

I’d say East Yorks. 

24 minutes ago, Robert Elliott said:

Attached is a copy of a photograph of a soldier (and his Mother?) who I believe to be relatives although I have not yet identified them. For the soldier there are two candidates, both of whom enlisted in the King's (Liverpool) Regiment in 1915. One subsequently transferred to the Labour Corps.

I was hoping the cap badge would help narrow him down or at least confirm it is one of the two men, but there are no details decipherable on the badge that I can see. Sadly, the original image (possibly an enlistment postcard style) is lost. Also, I do not recognise the shape of the badge as being related to either regiment. Could anyone hazard a guess or make any suggestions that might help? I realise it's a long shot, but the forum has never failed me before!

Thanks,

Rob.

17123883625107681099804628137200.jpg

If you post their names and services numbers. 

it’s not the Cheshire Regiment badge as the scroll at the bottom, curves up so that it is nearly touching the points of the star in the middle 

IMG_0879.jpeg

• Admin

A possible surname would be handy, (the face rings a bell).

BillyH.

I agree with Michelle that it’s East Yorkshire.  Conjoined ends of title scroll confirms.

IMG_3663.jpeg

IMG_3672.jpeg

IMG_3674.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thanks for the suggestions so far. As requested, the name's are:

307310  William Elliott, 8th King's (Liverpool) regiment, KIA 13 April 1917.

27403, 666753 John Hodgkinson, discharged wounded 14 January 1918.

As far as I know, no family members served with the East Yorks regiment, so I suspect it is neither of these soldiers.

Rob.

52 minutes ago, Robert Elliott said:

Sorry, I will have to pass  -  BillyH.

• Admin

It could be that either served in the East Yorks before going overseas with the KLR? 

7 hours ago, Robert Elliott said:

307310  William Elliott, 8th King's (Liverpool) regiment, KIA 13 April 1917.

27403, 666753 John Hodgkinson, discharged wounded 14 January 1918.

As far as I know, no family members served with the East Yorks regiment, so I suspect it is neither of these soldiers.

Rob.

As Michelle mentioned it’s entirely possible that he served with an East Yorks unit (for basic training) at home only.  That would’ve been recorded on his service record, but not usually medal, or pension records, both of which recorded just the service overseas for operational service reckoning (accounting) purposes.  As most men’s records were destroyed by WW2 bombing, details of home service units have often been lost and so photographs can be misleading.

Edited by FROGSMILE

If the cap badge in the opening post is that of the East Yorkshire Regiment then I'm an Eskimo clog dancer. Even allowing for the possibility of the scroll ends having been removed it's still not right. Whatever it is it's not East Yorks and not Cheshires either.       Pete.

• Admin
3 hours ago, CorporalPunishment said:

If the cap badge in the opening post is that of the East Yorkshire Regiment then I'm an Eskimo clog dancer. Even allowing for the possibility of the scroll ends having been removed it's still not right. Whatever it is it's not East Yorks and not Cheshires either.       Pete.

The only other badge not mentioned with a similar style is the 23rd London Regiment TF.

The crown at the top could be looking like a point?

Who knows? Screenshot courtesy of Cultman Collectibles.

image.png.ae3ee58772150bcc4c4f79c12a3deb5c.png

Seems a distinct possibility Bob.  Like several of the other badges there was a version of the badge with less pointed tips to the star and the conjoined title scroll gives that similar appearance.  I’m not sure that it fits so well with what is known about the soldiers home origins though.  A part time auxiliary unit in London seems a bit off beam.

IMG_3675.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

11 hours ago, Bob Davies said:

The only other badge not mentioned with a similar style is the 23rd London Regiment TF.

The Worcestershire cap badge is also very similar.  For what it's worth I think it is a Cheshire badge with the end of the scrolls missing or folded back.

BillyH.

46 minutes ago, BillyH said:

The Worcestershire cap badge is also very similar.  For what it's worth I think it is a Cheshire badge with the end of the scrolls missing or folded back.

BillyH.

Yes it’s whether the ends of the scrolls have been clipped, or whether they are conjoined further up the badge.  Knowing infantry regimental disciplinary culture as I do, I don’t think any company sergeant major would stand for a clipped badge.

Several of the regiments had a variety of their badge with the less pointed sharply stars, not just the Cheshires, and so that can sometimes be misleading.

Edited by FROGSMILE

2 hours ago, BillyH said:

For what it's worth I think it is a Cheshire badge with the end of the scrolls missing or folded back.

BillyH.

I think BillyH could be right 

Ive cut off, the ends off a paper copy of the Cheshire Regiment badge and it is very similar to me.  

knowing a number of GSM, RSM and CSM I don’t think they would allow for the ends of the scrolls to be removed IMG_0299.jpeg.a3bff3bcba2e8652140a198bc45be08c.jpeg

Just now, thetrenchrat22 said:

Ive cut off, the ends off a paper copy of the Cheshire Regiment badge and it is very similar to me.  

knowing a number of GSM, RSM and CSM I don’t think they would allow for the ends of the scrolls to be removed IMG_0299.jpeg.a3bff3bcba2e8652140a198bc45be08c.jpeg

Ive never seen a Cheshire Regiment badge from the Great War as my photo shows

8 minutes ago, thetrenchrat22 said:

Ive never seen a Cheshire Regiment badge from the Great War as my photo shows

Try cutting the ends off the East Yorkshire Regiment badge title scroll in exactly the same way as you have, and you will see how similar it will appear.  Certainly difficult to discern the difference in silhouette once you do that.

Edited by FROGSMILE