Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with Identifying Pocket Watch...Fr. Mambourg? WWI - Luxembourg/France

juniper1

Hello!  I am from Canada and inherited this pocket watch from my grandfather who was a jeweller and passed many years ago.  It appears to be a retirement watch or watch for service/collaboration of some kind.  I am wondering if this belonged to the gendarme/soldier in Luxembourg named Francois (Franz) Mambourg of WWI?   I have found that Francois Mambourg was born in 1862 and died in 1940 and had a son of the same name in 1917 and was married to Marie (nee Kinn) in 1916.   He would have been 52 in 1914.  Could this have been the owner of the watch?  I am having a VERY hard time connecting him to the organization it's from "La Federation des Association agriocles"  which was an organization in France.  If you take a look at the second photo of the box, it is from a jeweller in Luxembourg so it was most likely  engraved and purchased there.  Mambourg was born and died in Luxembourg (as far as my research goes).  Could anyone provide any info?  It's a bit unusual the abbreviation of the first two letters of the first name instead of one. 

Greatly appreciate help!  Thank you.

image.jpeg.0c988a7729d77e7c519663be6ffe64a4.jpegimage.jpeg.47e3a0751b32a7f8ff6e230674b9cece.jpeg

Edited by juniper1

• juniper1 changed the title to Help with Identifying Pocket Watch...Fr. Mambourg? WWI - Luxembourg/France

If he was 52 in 1914 it seems unlikely that he served as a soldier during WW1.

Could Fr be father?

Scott

Posted (edited)

Thanks for your reply Scott.  Yes, I've also had it suggested to me that Fr. could stand for Frere (Friar in French).   I just thought the Luxembourg connection of the watch and dates made it a strong possibility to link to Francois Mambourg of the war but I just can't find anything connecting him to this agricultural federation, although I don't have access to a lot materials.  Yes he was older in the war but the Francois Mambourg I found on genealogy sites  also got married at 53 and had his first child at 54.  And gendarme, is more like police officer as opposed to solider I believe?   My research points to him being older in that war.  It's just the organization I can't connect.  But I could have the WRONG person altogether as I think there may have been another Mambourg born in 1885 but there is no information at all online about this person.  So I welcome if anyone can correct me.

Edited by juniper1

There are some Belgian and French members on this forum who may be able to help.

Scott