Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service record James Jackson RAF Scotland 295156

AlisonT

I am researching my grandfather James Jackson (born 9/1/1901) and have found his service record. I wonder if anyone could help with the acronyms on his service record. He was living in Dundee when he enlisted and signed up for the duration of the war as a mechanic. He was demobbed at the Kinross dispersion centre, which makes sense on, 27th January 1919. 

His movements were RD 13/9/18.  enlisted arms(?)

RD.O/151, from RD to S.T.H.C (10B(or 13)468?) 22/9/18 S.T.H.C/151

S.T.H.C/23 from S.T.H.C (GL19?) to Kinross disp centre 27/1/19.

Two interesting asides. He told my father he signed up to the RFC, not the RAF and that he lied about his age to get in. He clearly joined the RAF and the RFC wouldn't have existed anymore when he enlisted. Could it be that he wore a RFC uniform, being a mechanic and it being so close to the end of the war and not that long after the RFC became the RAF. He puts his age as 17 and 8/12ths when he enlisted, which was his true age. I thought you could not enlist if you were under 18 without lying about your age.

Any information anyone has would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

image.png

Grandad WW1 RAF service record.pdf

• Admin

Welcome to the forum.

I have rotated your image for you to make it easier to see.

Good luck with your research.

I think RD  is Recruit Depot or Reserve Depot and S.T.H.C is Special Transit Holding Canp

• 2 weeks later...

If you've access to the FMP database for his AIR 79 record then don't forget to click through to the second page of the record: it can contain details of his trade (if any), whether he was a rigger, a fitter, etc, and whether there were any disciplinary proceedings. (In 90% of cases there's nothing of interest but occasionally something will turn up that can lead to other research possibilities).

On 04/04/2024 at 15:00, AlisonT said:

I am researching my grandfather James Jackson (born 9/1/1901) and have found his service record. I wonder if anyone could help with the acronyms on his service record. He was living in Dundee when he enlisted and signed up for the duration of the war as a mechanic. He was demobbed at the Kinross dispersion centre, which makes sense on, 27th January 1919. 

His movements were RD 13/9/18.  enlisted arms(?)

Where you have read enlisted arms it is actually enlisted AM3 meaning Air Mechanic 3rd Class.

Steve