Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military Medal Recipients - Yeomans AH 12461 8Bn Shropshire Light Infantry

SunDodginDoc

I'm trying to help a friend (who's helping a friend!) who is trying to find some information on a Military Medal. 

First off, did every recipient of the MM also have a citation? I can't find anything on our man. His medal card has the usual 3 medals but no mention of his Military Medal. 

I can't access the war diaries as they are held by the Shropshire Archive and I'm miles away. I understand he received his medal for rescuing an officer called Proffit(?).

19 minutes ago, SunDodginDoc said:

I'm trying to help a friend (who's helping a friend!) who is trying to find some information on a Military Medal. 

First off, did every recipient of the MM also have a citation? I can't find anything on our man. His medal card has the usual 3 medals but no mention of his Military Medal. 

I can't access the war diaries as they are held by the Shropshire Archive and I'm miles away. I understand he received his medal for rescuing an officer called Proffit(?).

Here are the details from the book the complete military medal roll 1914-19 by Peter Warrington. 

it’s very rare to come across a citation for an MM.  

if you have got access to ancestry.co.uk the war diary will appear there or you can get them from the National Archives which are free to download but you must register this. 

IMG_0292.jpeg

35 minutes ago, SunDodginDoc said:

I understand he received his medal for rescuing an officer called Proffit(?).

KSLI did have a Lt Tom PROFFIT [ex Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders] - so perhaps maybe??

Edit: However PROFFIT's MIC shows a first ToW entry of 12.8.18 [which would be rather too late for that 25.4.18 LG]

M

Edited by Matlock1418
edit

Posted (edited)

As ever, Matlock, thank you for your help. Could you explain ToW and MIC, please? LG I get.

Edited by SunDodginDoc

Posted (edited)

Thank you, Cheshire22. I can pass that on.

Incidentally Mr Yeomans here was born in Crewe.

Edited by SunDodginDoc
Typo

2 minutes ago, SunDodginDoc said:

Could you explain ToW and MIC, please?

ToW = Theatre of War

MIC = Medal Index Card

M

17 hours ago, SunDodginDoc said:

His medal card has the usual 3 medals but no mention of his Military Medal.

Please see attached image -- note the mis-spelling of his surname. He was awarded his MM for his actions in Salonica. The card shiows that his substantive rank was that of a Private bt he was Acting Lance Corporal

Yeomans.jpg

@SunDodginDoc -- I don't know if you are aware but Find My Past (a subscription site) have images of his service record. I have read through his record but there isn't any reason for the award of his MM. If you have access to Find My Past and look at his service record, please be very careful as there are also images relation to an Albert Aston Yeomans of the East Yorkshire Regiment. I have contacted Find My Past to point this out and for them to correct the problem.

British Army Service Records 1914-1920 Image | findmypast.co.uk

From the newspaper Staffordshire Sentinel, 5th May 1918 (image courtesy of Find My Past)

Yeomans_newspaper article.jpg