Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Staff Officer's Dilemma; Planning the Move.

Justin Moretti

If I'm a staff officer at some level or other who's planning the move of a division, brigade or battalion on foot under conditions that aren't August 1914 or March 1918, and who at higher levels might be responsible for arranging a shift of heavy artillery, what sort of tables or other information would I have had access to, in order to help me organize the move? As much to the point, where does it all go and how much room does it take up when it gets to the other end? A division of 18,000 men plus all its divisional artillery and transport can't exactly be stuck in someone's backyard.

Naturally I'll have maps of passable roads to indicate the distance and available paths between points A and B. I'm not counting longer moves that would require entrainment.

I'm trying to imagine what it would be like to organize something like this, but there are too many things I don't know. 

Many infantry war diaries will contain movement orders. IIRC the 14 Welsh diary certainly did. Free download from the National Archives...

Bernard 

6 minutes ago, Bernard_Lewis said:

Many infantry war diaries will contain movement orders. IIRC the 14 Welsh diary certainly did. Free download from the National Archives...

Bernard 

I've seen such examples - my question is about all the calculations a staff officer has to go through before writing them!

Field Service Regulations 1914 (Reprinted with amendments 1916) Chapter 1 War Establishments, also pages 24,25,26,27 and Chapter II Marches and March Discipline pages 1 to 54 inclusive. Some parts of Chapter III, page 55 onward may also be of interest.

3 minutes ago, squirrel said:

Field Service Regulations 1914 (Reprinted with amendments 1916) Chapter 1 War Establishments, also pages 24,25,26,27 and Chapter II Marches and March Discipline pages 1 to 54 inclusive. Some parts of Chapter III, page 55 onward may also be of interest.

Excellent. I have a copy of FSRI/14; I'll go look it up. Thank you.

1 hour ago, squirrel said:

This might help as well

Very nice, thank you. Interesting to see it scrawled out by someone in the field in this manner.