Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Service Papers

astuart

On my grandad's service papers there is a stamp that reads: "Untraceable in France vide Census Roll." with a separate date stamp "21 June 1919" Has anyone come across this before and knows what it means?

His papers confirm he was demobbed at Grantham 23.3.1919. There was no Census in 1919 (there was in 1921). I believe he was part of the North Russian Relief Force raised in May 1919. If this were the case, by 21 June he would have been in Archangel.

Any thoughts?

Andy Stuart

Service Paper stamp.jpg

8 minutes ago, astuart said:

There was no Census in 1919 (there was in 1921).

I imagine that the stamp does not relate to the 10 yearly censuses that are held in the UK, of  which the next was as you say 1921.

I'd guess more of an internal military stock take after the end of hostilities in 1918/19.

The 1921 census took place on 19 June. At this time, he had reenlisted and was in the Tank Corps, 1021296, and would have had no grounds to have been in France, which is puzzling.

43 minutes ago, Keith_history_buff said:

At this time, he had reenlisted and was in the Tank Corps, 1021296

If you, like me initially, thought Keith was psychic ... this earlier thread also relates 

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/310128-north-russian-relief-force

:D

M

Edited by Matlock1418

Thanks Old Sweats, Keith and M.

I guess the lack of evidence he wasn't in Russia and this odd stamp neither confirms or denies his presence ..... anywhere.

What I do know is that he eventually died in Ash, near Aldershot in 1972. I was 11 - he was a good grandad!

Best, Andy

The exact wording is important; especially the word “vide”. In effect, the wording means “Untraceable in France refer to the census roll 21 June 1919”. i.e. someone in France didn’t know where he was and he wasn’t included on that particular census. 

Thanks Ray. This makes sense.

Do you think it might have been an official French census, or perhaps a British Military process just to see which troops were still in France in need of demobilisation.

Andy

Unfortunately, Andy, I’m no expert. It simply sounds to me that, whatever census took place he wasn’t there and a note was made of this on his military record; which would fit with your understanding of him being demobbed in March ‘19. 

Its good, logical input Ray, - thanks!

For the moment it will remain a puzzle.

Andy.

There's another topic that has a Casualty Form attached that states verified by census 21/6/9.

I think this relates to the man's earlier leave.

Intriguing that both quote a census of 21/6/19.

TEW