Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

James Batchford, Royal Engineers

planehome

Hello. I have a similar query about a soldier called James Batchford, linked to the Royal Engineers (Railways) on his WW1 medal roll cards but he has two numbers: 290193 and 275124.  A previous post explaining a number change in march 1917 now makes sense but can anyone help with what his role might have been and where he was during his service.

Thank you, Pete Lane

• Admin
26 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Thank you for this Michelle.  Unfortunately I am at the start of my search with limited information, so still trying to identify the company but your information will be great when I have more to go on.  Thank you, Pete.

• Admin

I don’t know whether the medal rolls would give you any more information? 

@planehome Split into new thread. 

9 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

I don’t know whether the medal rolls would give you any more information? 

Split into new thread. 

Only two docs available - Medal Roll Index Card for JB and medal and awards rolls for Royal Engineers- Railways (1919). No service record that I can find and no further anecdotal information. 

It may be a red herring but Ancestry somehow produced life story text that mentioned James Batchford being at Walls, Orkney in 1914 ? ... but nothing I can see on the two documents refers to this.

Also, his two serial numbers are quite close together (290193 and 275124) so maybe I am wrong to assume that this was part of the 1917 renumbering for TF RE ! 

James Batchford WW1 Medal and Awards Rolls.jpg

James Batchford WW1 Medal Roll Index card.jpg

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, planehome said:

Only two docs available - Medal Roll Index Card for JB and medal and awards rolls for Royal Engineers- Railways (1919). No service record that I can find and no further anecdotal information. 

It may be a red herring but Ancestry somehow produced life story text that mentioned James Batchford being at Walls, Orkney in 1914 ? ... but nothing I can see on the two documents refers to this.

Also, his two serial numbers are quite close together (290193 and 275124) so maybe I am wrong to assume that this was part of the 1917 renumbering for TF RE ! 

James Batchford WW1 Medal and Awards Rolls.jpg

James Batchford WW1 Medal Roll Index card.jpg

I have also noticed in my own post that the WR Numbers in the Awards and Rolls for Royal Engineers - Railways have, in all cases, replaced the original numbers in the 290... sequence, albeit with some of the 290... sequence numbers missing.  Is this meaningful ?  According to Paul Nixon's Army Service Numbers site, the WR prefix stands for Royal Engineers (Waterways & Railways).

One additional piece of information - he was married in Sheffield in July 1918 and his address was just listed as 'On Leave From France' ! 

Thank you all !

Edited by planehome
Additional information.

I have posted on this before. WR pre- fixed numbers were issued to transportation troops units in 1918 as the result of a major reorganisation. Units were required to submit nominal rolls to as the result of an Army Order of March 1918. These numbers were given a WR pre-fix. Unfortunately these do not denote the specific roll the man fulfilled except, as in this case, he was with a railway unit of some sort.

TR

2 minutes ago, Terry_Reeves said:

I have posted on this before. WR pre- fixed numbers were issued to transportation troops units in 1918 as the result of a major reorganisation. Units were required to submit nominal rolls to as the result of an Army Order of March 1918. These numbers were given a WR pre-fix. Unfortunately these do not denote the specific roll the man fulfilled except, as in this case, he was with a railway unit of some sort.

TR

Thank you Terry. Apologies that I hadn't found the previous reference to WR.  Pete 

• Michelle Young changed the title to James Batchford, Royal Engineers