Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt. Colonel Herbert Lane Goodenough

Eastindia

This chap was commissioned Lieutenant in the Border Regiment 1884, transferred to the Indian Army 1888 and served with the Mewar Bhil Corps, which was an armed police force in the Mewar district where he was political superintendent 1902. Of his military career that is all I can find of him, apart from Hart listings. Did he just sit things out like WWI in Mewar until retirement? Or is anything more known of him. When he died he left £338, which seems modest for his background.

any more info much appreciated 

There is a family tree entry for him on ancestry. His daughter was a Wren Officer & died in WW2. Ethel Mary Goodenough

Adrian

Edited by AdrianC
Information Update

This might be of interest from the National Archives - currently free to download after free registration

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C13295682 

M

Edited by Matlock1418

Army List October 1915 Part 1

1915 October - Part 1.jpg

Thank you Adrian. I know about poor Ethel and Katherine and Frederick. I guess Herbert just stayed put with his Mewar Bhil Corps

and thank you Matlock. I hadn’t realised that free services were currently available Great help 

Lt-Col Herbert Lane Goodenough, 92nd Punjabis

No War services statement in the April 1918 WS supplement. 
It does not mean he had no active service, it’s just he might have never submitted a statement.

It is true though that between 1891 and 1914, they, as regiment, did not see active service.

He attended the Royal Military College, Sandhurst and commissioned as a Lt into the Border Regiment 23rd August 1884
He transferred to the Indian Army and was appointed a Lieutenant on the 6th June 1886, with seniority in rank from 23 August 1884
Promoted Captain 30th July, 1895.
Promoted Lt-Col 4th August, 1910
Appointed to command the 92nd Punjabis 10th February 1911 and due to relinquish command on 9 Feb. 1916
However, in the Oct 1914 IAL he was officially the commanding officer of the 92nd Punjabis but was on leave, outside of India on a medical certificate for 11 months since the 23rd January 1914.
The regiment was ordered to mobilise on the 11 Sept 1914 and on the 20th October 1914 they sailed off to defend the Suez canal.
He received a Special Appointment (Graded for purposes of pay as a General Staff Officer, 3rd Grade) as of 9th September 1914. This was probably on the staff somewhere.
He retired, still a Lt-Col on the 17th March 1919

As to leaving only 338 pounds on his death I am not surprised - Indian Army officers were well know to be hard up, mostly.

I hope that helps,

Matthew