Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arthur George Emerson 18/422 Northumberland Fusilers.

Sharon Hannant

Hello all. I'm searching for a member of my family. His name was Arthur George Emerson 18 Northumberland fusiliers,  service number 18/422. This is all I know about him. Thankfully he survived the war. His son James died on the Thai/Burma railway in 1943. Any help greatly appreciated.

10 minutes ago, Sharon Hannant said:

Hello all. I'm searching for a member of my family. His name was Arthur George Emerson 18 Northumberland fusiliers,  service number 18/422. This is all I know about him. Thankfully he survived the war. His son James died on the Thai/Burma railway in 1943. Any help greatly appreciated.

HISTORICAL RECORDS OF THE 18th (SERVICE) BATTALION NORTHUMBERLAND FUSILIERS (1st TYNESIDE PIONEERS)

This is an exceptionally detailed and intimate Battalion History of the 18th (Service) Battalion of the Notrhumberland Fusiliers - a unit rapidly raised in the Newcastle area on the outbreak of the Great War in 1914. The battlion spent the remainder of the year and 1915 in training in their home area, but like many other units of Kitchener’s New Armies, found themselves at the beginning of 1916 in France preparing for the Somme offensive. The Battalion was used both in a Pioneer role - supplying and maintaining the trench lines - and in a purely combatant role, and was in almost continuous action for the remainder of the war. The Battalion fought at La Boiselle on the Somme and at Arras in April 1917. For the rest of the war it was in the infamous Ypres salient, where it was in the thick of the fighting in March and April 1918 during the German spring offensives. The author of this book, Lt.-Col. John Shakespear, was instrumental in raising the Battalion and commanded it throughout its service on the western front. The volume includes the Battalion’s Embarkation Roll from January 1916; its Roll of Honour; honours and awards and appendices - including one on a Prisoner of War’s experiences. Illustrated with photographs and maps.

can be brought from Naval and Military press or Amazon 

• Michelle Young changed the title to Arthur George Emerson 18/422 Northumberland Fusilers.

enlisted around the 27th October 1914

Served in B Company, 18th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers

His medal roll suggests he was transferred to the 1st NF, back to the 18th NF, then finally to the 14th NF.

Eoin

Edited by Eoin Gallacher

Hi Sharon

Welcome to the forum

The Newcastle Journal of 4th August 1916 has the following (courtesy of FMP newspapers):-

image.png.cccca1c1f2bf2ff81401da54c27bd588.png

I can find nothing other than the MIC and Medal Roll on Ancestry, but hope the snip helps. The fact that he is described as Driver suggests to me that he was still with the 18th Bn NF in August 1916. The war diary can be accessed here:-

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=18+Northumberland+Fusiliers&discoveryCustomSearch=true&_cr1=WO+95&_col=200&_hb=tna

Free to download  once you have registered, no financial details need be given. He almost certainly won't be mentioned by name, but it will give you an idea of where and what they were doing. 

Kind Regards

Derek