Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trying to locate Lt R. C. Crowden's BWM and Victory Medal

Clive ex RAF plumber

Good Morning All,  I am trying to locate the above two medals.  In May 2023 I purchased from Spinks (Lot 919) Roy Crowden's MC and a vast amount of ephemera relating to him (hand written training notes, diaries etc. (the diaries being extremely interesting as they provide in his own hand writing details of his missions written at the time)).  I have learnt today that on the 15th September 1990 (lot 608) Spinks sold his MC, BWM and VM, I had been under the impression that he hadn't claimed his BWM and VM which is apparently not the case.  I know it's a long shot but does anyone know who purchased lot 608 and what happened to his BWM and VM?  Many thanks Clive     

Are you a member of the British Medal Forum? I think if you join you can post in their ‘seeking medals’ section. You can also set up an alert on eBay in case they crop up for sale there.

Simon

2 minutes ago, mancpal said:

Are you a member of the British Medal Forum? I think if you join you can post in their ‘seeking medals’ section. You can also set up an alert on eBay in case they crop up for sale there.

Simon

Thanks for that Simon applied to join last night just waiting for a response will also put on Ebay.

Apologies to all it was Sotheby's and not Spink's the medals were offered for sale in (lot 608 15 September 1990).  If anybody has a copy of the catalogue I would love to know what was offered for sale and what it sold for.  

plenty of other hints on where to look for on other posts.

I would not worry how much they originally sold for as times change, my three trios and plaques were £70 back in the seventies, cost me over £800. 

its desirability and demand which prices them, others may be looking for his MC in which case they might have a bigger budget than you. especially as he was an officer, now more information is available there could be more interest. 

I was lucky, my groups were still together with certificates and kings letter AND crucially, I was the only one that wanted them.

14 minutes ago, chaz said:

plenty of other hints on where to look for on other posts.

I would not worry how much they originally sold for as times change, my three trios and plaques were £70 back in the seventies, cost me over £800. 

its desirability and demand which prices them, others may be looking for his MC in which case they might have a bigger budget than you. especially as he was an officer, now more information is available there could be more interest. 

I was lucky, my groups were still together with certificates and kings letter AND crucially, I was the only one that wanted them.

Thanks for the response Chaz, the seventies were happy days I have been collecting since then and can remember buying a Waterloo medal for £75 in Grimsby in the late seventies.  With regards Roy Crowden (stage name Royston) the diaries themselves are worth what I paid for the lot, the Military Cross is definitely original, my one hope is that it was actually his, I believe it came from his wife.  Although the lot which was sold at Sotheby's contained an MC. The story of Roy Crowden is amazing and it is definitely one of the favourite medals I have in my collection. Regards Clive