Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fred Flux

KMN

1884-1918. Family story he was sent home from the front with Spanish Flu, passed away at home Littleton Winchester on 11 November 1918. I have copy of death certificate & name Fred Flux. Cannot locate any military record in Fred or Frederick Flux in War records.

Older brother George Henry Flux 3/4515 2nd Battalion Hampshire regiment. Killed 13 August 1915, name on Heles Memorial.

Younger brother Charles Flux 877 1/4th Battalion Hampshire regiment killed 13 October 1918. Headstone Tehran, I have a photo.

To me it makes sense as Fred's 2 brothers joined Hampshire regiment, that he would if he did military service. 

His home is listed as "The Bungalows" Littleton which I have read it's border adjoined Flowerdown airfield.

My next step would be to pay the Hampshire Regiment research department.

Any information would be appreciated.

30 minutes ago, KMN said:

1884-1918. Family story he was sent home from the front with Spanish Flu, passed away at home Littleton Winchester on 11 November 1918. I have copy of death certificate & name Fred Flux. Cannot locate any military record in Fred or Frederick Flux in War records.

Older brother George Henry Flux 3/4515 2nd Battalion Hampshire regiment. Killed 13 August 1915, name on Heles Memorial.

Younger brother Charles Flux 877 1/4th Battalion Hampshire regiment killed 13 October 1918. Headstone Tehran, I have a photo.

To me it makes sense as Fred's 2 brothers joined Hampshire regiment, that he would if he did military service. 

His home is listed as "The Bungalows" Littleton which I have read it's border adjoined Flowerdown airfield.

My next step would be to pay the Hampshire Regiment research department.

Any information would be appreciated.

If you could post a copy of the death certificate as it will be of help, in helping you 

Medal card of Flux, Frederick P. Corps: Hampshire Regiment. Regiment No: 11306. Rank: Lance Corporal....Medal card of Flux, Frederick P. Corps Regiment No Rank Hamps hire Regiment 11306 Lance Corporal. Hampshire Regiment 11306 Corporal.

a Quick Look at the medal index cards for Flux and there is only 1 Frederick Flux who served in the Hampshire Regiment 

but there are other Frederick Flux who served in different regiments or corps 

this Frederick Perry Flux, survived the Great War and died in the 1950’s

Edited by Cheshire22
New information

From findagrave.com

Born in 1884 Fred was the 7th child of Emily Flux nee Hicks and James Henry Flux. In 1891 he lived at 49 Wharf Hill WINCHESTER with his parents and he was still living there with them in 1911. In 1912 he married Florence May Osborne. They had 4 children, Kathleen Grace born 1913, James Albert Jesse born in 1915, Ella May born 1917 and Doreen Mildred born in May 1919. In 1913 Fred was working as a Milkman. Sadly Fred died on 11 November 1918 of Influenza & Bronchial Pneumonia. He died from the Spanish Flu Pandemic. He died at his home, The Bungalow, Littleton Winchester. His burial took place at St Peter's Chesil, Winchester on 14 November 1918.

If you look at the local papers at the time of his death, for an obituary or for any further clues. 

5 hours ago, KMN said:

Welcome to GWF,

Sorry, this doesn't help with Fred.

Charles FLUX, 8770, Hampshire Regt - Pension index card at WFA/Fold3 have recorded as dying from Pneumonia

M

Edited by Matlock1418
punctuation

1 hour ago, Cheshire22 said:

Medal card of Flux, Frederick P. Corps: Hampshire Regiment. Regiment No: 11306. Rank: Lance Corporal....Medal card of Flux, Frederick P. Corps Regiment No Rank Hamps hire Regiment 11306 Lance Corporal. Hampshire Regiment 11306 Corporal.

As you note - survived the war, discharged 15-5-19 - Frederick Percy FLUX [pension index card at WFA/Fold3]

M

2 hours ago, KMN said:

Family story he was sent home from the front with Spanish Flu, passed away at home Littleton Winchester on 11 November 1918.

As far as I can tell from Ancestry trees, that is a modern surmise, rather than a fact,  based on an unknown photo of a soldier who seen in his grandmother's house when he was a child

From the facts

• 1884 born. Registered and baptised as  Fred Flux
  • 1911 census in 49 Wharf Hill, Winchester. Living with his parents
  • 1912 Married Winchester to Florence May Osbourne (1893 - 1991)
  • 1913 child born Winchester
  • 1915 child born Winchester
  • 1917 child born Winchester
  • 1918 Nov died  Death Cert says "smallholder"
  • 1919 child born )5 months after his death)
  • 1920 His widow remarried to William James Harfield (1891–1954)

The Birth Certs of the children would tell what his occupation was in 1915 and 1917

A photo of him taken probably in 1914 with his first child shows he was not in the army then

fred1.jpg.5ef84384c15a4b304c00fd24a37b6cc4.jpg

As  we have said in this thread there is no MIC, which means that almost certainly he did not serve abroad (not 100%, but nearly)

So either he served only in UK . Or he did not serve - there is no evidence that he did serve

And the regularity of the children's births indicates that he could not have spent a lot of time away from UK

He certainly was not serving when he died.

fred2.jpg.b84c5943fc00cc0ee24d048cd81b34c0.jpg

If you get the Birth Certs of the 1915 and 1917 children, you can see if he might have served.

Thankyou for taking the time to reply. I'll see if I can access those birth records.