Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A clean example of 98/05 bayonet.

MikeyH

Acquired over the weekend, this a.A. bayonet has a very bright blade.  It carries no unit markings, is dated 1915 to the spine, and has the makers name of P.D.Luneschloss of Solingen.  A careful clean reveals that the 'fraktur' marks are still visible on the grip bolts and nuts.  

Very pleased to find this in such a good condition, oddly it came without a scabbard.  

Mike.

SAM_3548.JPG

SAM_3549.JPG

SAM_3546.JPG

It looks like someone polished the surface of blade, normally the blades looks dull not shiny as here. On all places should be crown C proof its a S98/05nA. Evidently the rust on handle was cleaned.

Edited by AndyBsk

Perhaps the lack of a scabbard encouraged a previous owner to polish the blade and make it look a more display friendly? Reproduction S.98/05 scabbards are available if you wanted one as a place-holder.

I have bought my third butcher blade in a similar way . It wasn't able to give it up due to its costing less than 50bucks. The handle is in perfect condition but unfortunately the edge/blade was filed ruthlessly not too long ago. I had to sand it up to a certain extent.IMG_20230915_120410.jpg.f1e53a116476a93b3b09eee0382657fa.jpg

Before touching (The one next to the metford)IMG_20240113_233619.jpg.3cb7468219ecb81de432882fe7683b2d.jpg

The path of terror (Half way through) 

IMG_20240127_154153.jpg.af0d9792f81c12b463fa5949733236dc.jpg

Finally after Using a entire paper of considerably low grit sandpaper (The one in the middle)

Andy, peregrinvs and M1890,

Thank you for your comments,  most of my 98/05's came without scabbards, as these are generally cheaper!  I also have a couple of excellent repro. scabbards.  I have revived quite a few bayonets in various conditions of distress.  My most recent a Martini-Henry 1887 sword bayonet, that had been 'cleaned' with a hand held wire brush.  I use different grades of wire wool, finishiing with 00.000 grade.  This is very laborious work, but worth the effort.

Mike.

SAM_3524.JPG

SAM_3526.JPG

I personally as long year collector 40 years already, believe the first picture with patina, is more desirable as the shiny polished ones.

Andy,

What the photo dosen't show is the many scratch marks present from the previous attempt at cleaning.  These are no longer evident, also the rust pitting has gone.   These bayonets were highly polished when originally issued.

Best regards,

Mike.

The piece in first picture is a 1915 or post production, similar mirror polish was never used as for this was not time, i understand You when proofed repairing done on a previous wrong cleaning process, anyway on the majority of S98/05 there is rust and patina on handle, but polishing of blades in mirror glossy finish is not real. The blade is then overpolished and not in period condition. You could not return a 100 years patina, as mentioned before sometime is better do nothing or only oil and wipe. 

Edited by AndyBsk

1 hour ago, AndyBsk said:

The piece in first picture is a 1915 or post production, similar mirror polish was never used as for this was not time, i understand You when proofed repairing done on a previous wrong cleaning process, anyway on the majority of S98/05 there is rust and patina on handle, but polishing of blades in mirror glossy finish is not real. The blade is then overpolished and not in period condition. You could not return a 100 years patina, as mentioned before sometime is better do nothing or only oil and wipe. 

I would like to second this comment, unfortunately I have seen a lot of damage with overzealous cleaning, for no real reason except misunderstanding and boredom 

take heed and be careful 

kind regards,

g

Andy and Navy Doc,

All points taken, most of my bayonets are still in the same condition as when first acquired.  There is a fine line between patina and leaving rust/corrosion, I always clean off rust and stabilise.

I was given my first bayonet when aged around 10, that was almost seventy years ago......

Best regards,

Mike.

Certainly i was in same cleaning when i was young collector, i got a cheap damaged total rusted piece and i removed rust, cleaned it polished but when i see now the result it was not extra well done and similar pieces are not extra valued. Here is a S98/05aA from PD.Luneschloss marked W15 on spine no flashguard, the rough blade was not cleaned only on heavy rust area, but the patina is still there. It was got from a old guy expert on shooting, that collected even bayonets since 1945.

SG9805aA2.JPG.510ac917c3981f16ce575952c618a028.JPG

Edited by AndyBsk