Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The best book about the battle of the Somme?

Ian

I wondered if forum members could recommend what they consider to be the best book about the Battle of the Somme?

I’m looking for what is generally considered to be the best book available, telling the whole story perhaps day by day, with maps showing unit positions etc. Something which explains everything.

I would like to understand this battle as many family members were present and I’d like to understand what part they and their units played.

You’ll have guessed that I have no idea about this battle at all and quite frankly don’t really know which book I should consider purchasing.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thank you 

Ian

• Admin

Where do you start? There’s so many books about the Somme battles!  For a day to day overview Chris McCarthy day by day account is a great starter. 
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Somme-Day-day-Account/dp/1860198732
(other booksellers are available)

Also worth doing a forum search in the books section. 

(Professor) Gary Sheffield's 200 page paperback The Somme is superb, and not as well known as it should be; I doubt if there is a better concise account of the entire battle in all of its phases (and it has a foreword by the late Richard Holmes - what better seal of approval can there be?). Sheffield puts the campaign in its strategic context and provides useful maps. There are currently plenty of cheap second hand copies on Amazon HERE.

William

As Michelle has mentioned, where to start? However, three of my favourites on the subject are:

Bloody Victory The Sacrifice on the Somme. William Philpott.

Somme 1916 A Battlefield Companion. Gerald Gliddon

148 Days on the Somme. Barry Cuttell.

But there are so many books on the subject as an online search will show you.

Regards

Peter

• Admin

Trouble is once you start where do you stop  - and that's even without general histories and memoirs oh and battlefield guides

IMG_0009.jpeg

But another vote for Professor Gary Sheffield :thumbsup:

• Admin

There’s always the Official History as  well. Are you just concerned with soldiers from the UK? 

Hi Michelle,

Uk and Canada. All of my family were English apart from one. The English family members served with the Leicesters, Sherwood Forresters, ASC, Tank Corps, and RFA. I have six or eight men to research and understand what part they played. 

I want to start gathering information and an understanding of the war, particularly the Somme as so many of them were there.

Thank you 

I'd also recommend "The Somme: a New Panoramic Perspective" by Peter Barton.  Has some excellent contemporaneous and modern photographs and maps of key locations associated with the battle.