Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sgt Walter Thomas King, MM. RFA

Nick Jung

My wife's great uncle, Sgt Walter Thomas King was awarded the Military Medal whilst serving in the RFA. The qualifying date was 26/7/15. I wonder what he did?

• Michelle Young changed the title to Sgt Walter Thomas King, MM. RFA
  • Admin

This looks like it could be his MIC ©️ Ancestry. @Nick Jung have split this into a new separate thread. 

IMG_1059.jpeg

• Admin

The qualifying date you mention is when he arrived in France. There should be a separate card for his MM.  Citations are as rare as hens teeth unfortunately. 

If you’re fortunate he may have got a mention in the newspapers local to his address. Even if it didn’t quote the precise citation it would narrow down a date which could be cross referenced to the appropriate war diary which are currently free to download, this may highlight the action in which he was awarded his honour but is unlikely to name him specifically.

Simon

49 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

There should be a separate card for his MM

Image courtesy of Find My Past

King_WT_MM card.jpg

• Admin

Many Thanks for this. I have to say that in the unlikely event that I had done something to deserve a Military Medal I would be a bit miffed if my descendants couldn't find out what I had done to deserve it! He died in 1949, apparently on Canvey Island. After being gassed he ended up in the Military Hospital Sutton Veny and later, in Jan 1918 in Catterick, Hipswell Camp. He was discharged to draft on July 1918.

• Admin

There may be something in the war diary? Unlikely but possible. 

I will have a dig. Thanks very much.

Found him mentioned in the War Diary. brilliant. Now to find out what he did!

Screenshot_2024-04-01-21-03-31-357.jpeg

• Admin

That looks like  Gnr M King to me? 

50 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

That looks like  Gnr M King to me? 

Also, D Battery in May 1917. The MM provided by Allen1892 is for B Battery in 1918.

Regards

Alan

His initial should have been W King and I think he was a sergeant at the time. I have not been able to find any reference to a Gnr M King receiving the MM with this unit so I suspect that this is simply an error on the part of the officer that filled in the log. Which makes the selling off by the IWM of the original documents logging the grave locations of soldiers killed in WW1 all the more inappropriate!

Thanks again for your help.

13 hours ago, Nick Jung said:

I have to say that in the unlikely event that I had done something to deserve a Military Medal I would be a bit miffed if my descendants couldn't find out what I had done to deserve it! 

I stand to be corrected, but I believe the citations for the award of M.M.s were destroyed in the London Blitz 1940 (along with well over half off the soldiers service papers!). Also, do not underestimate the possibility of finding the citation in the local newspapers, I have found dozens of them in my local newspapers.

BillyH.

• Admin
22 hours ago, Nick Jung said:

Many Thanks for this. I have to say that in the unlikely event that I had done something to deserve a Military Medal I would be a bit miffed if my descendants couldn't find out what I had done to deserve it! 

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/the-1940-fire-at-arnside-street/

The LG of 4 Feb 1918 was awards for Passchendaele in October 1917.    Oct WD states 12 killed, 97 wounded, 4 died of wounds.

84 brigade.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson
Additional Info

On 01/04/2024 at 16:06, Nick Jung said:

Found him mentioned in the War Diary. brilliant. Now to find out what he did!

Screenshot_2024-04-01-21-03-31-357.jpeg

The man referred to in the War Diary for May 1917 is probably No.651047, Gunner, M [Matthew] King, D Battery, 84th Brigade RFA. Gazette dated 18/6/17.

Regards

Alan

Thanks very much for this...your research is better than mine. I will keep on digging