Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte C. N. Edwards No. 2733 1/4 West Riding Regiment

DaveC

Seeking information on Pte  C N Edwards No. 2733. Gassed December 1915. Any help most Welcome.   Kindest Regards DaveC

• Admin

There’s a medal index card for Norman Edwards #2733 West Riding Regiment  and #311671 RGA (TF

Is that your man? 

• Michelle Young changed the title to Pte C. N. Edwards No. 2733 1/4 West Riding Regiment

Private 2733 Duke of Wellingtons  4th West Riding then Gunner 311671 RGA (TF)  H.A.C.  Norman Edwards  aka Charles Norman Edwards

to France 15-4-15

Edited by chaz

looks like the claim for pension was rejected.

Hi everybody yes that's the man i'm interested in any more information on him would me most welcome address, year of enlistment, hospitals he may have attended Kindest Regards DaveC

• Admin

Without a service record, which I don’t know if you have looked for, the hospitals might be asking too much.

unfortunately Dave, records would have been lost as we all know. the only possibility being finding his nearest mate that has a close number and seeing if he has papers still.

His initial regiment was the West Riding foot sloggers, then transferred to the Artillery where he qualified for his medals, no record of gassing and too early for a daily list entry.

from the longlongtrail  1/4th West Riding Duke of Wellingtons

August 1914 : in Halifax. Part of 2nd West Riding Brigade, West Riding Division. Moved on mobilisation to coastal defences near Hull and Grimsby. Moved on 5 November 1914 to billets in Doncaster.
14 April 1915 : landed at Boulogne.
15 May 1915 : formation became 147th Brigade in 49th (West Riding) Division.

his MIC shows to France 15-4-15 so would have been on the first boat over to Boulogne. So allowing for training, work back from there.

E M Smith 2732 went over the previous day 14th  stayed with the regiment

Hi everybody

He was gassed inthe attack  on the 19th December 1915, a newspaper reports him as being wounded (gas) no other information 

• Admin

With all respect Dave, it would be good if can tell us all you know about these two men you are asking about. Drip feeding little bits of information really isn’t helpful. Have you looked at the 1/4 war diaries for the attack on 19th December, what attack, where etc? Newspaper reports aren’t ways that reliable. 

Albert Edward Adams was no 106224 a pre war soldier joined the 4th previously joined up in 1908 so  could your man have been a pre war soldier? just looking for available service records to fill in.

Was the attack on the 19th or reported on 19th? the newspaper would only have been fed reports by the army once cleared from censors.

Its possible, that as he was awarded medals with the Artillery, he may not have been with the 1/4th when gassed but the Artillery. need to find a date he was transferred.

According to the westernfrontassociation.com, there was indeed a gas attack on the West Riders on the date given above in December 1915, and the newspapers did get a hold of this despite heavy censoring from British leaders. It is highly plausible that this man you seek, according to the website above, was involved in a phosgene gas attack in an area northwards of Ypres 

doing a quick census check for charles norman edwards or norman charles edwards only produces one of each. inserting a DOB of 1895+-10 years.

one born 1903 Hull would have been too young for 1915 , the other born 1899 Glamorgan but he was 97440 RGA then RAF 321158

do you have a newspaper name or area to clear options?

10 minutes ago, Casques of WW1 said:

According to the westernfrontassociation.com, there was indeed a gas attack on the West Riders on the date given above in December 1915, and the newspapers did get a hold of this despite heavy censoring from British leaders. It is highly plausible that this man you seek, according to the website above, was involved in a phosgene gas attack in an area northwards of Ypres 

back to my previous..... he could have been in the artillery by December 15 as his medals rolls all confirm HAC or RGA

Posted (edited)

Hi everybody the only information i had on C. N. Edwards  was an entry in the 4th Bn old comrades association meetings, minutes which mentioned that he had fallen on hard times and that he had been gassed on the 19th Dec 1915 when I checked my records he his mentioned on the 1/4th casualty list has wounded (gas) it only gave Pte C N Edwards 2783 that is all the information I had on him.   Kindest and Warmest Regards DaveC

Edited by DaveC

Posted (edited)

Chaz

The casualty list in which his name appeared was in the local paper the Halifax evening courier which I only have hard copies of.   Kindest regards DaveC 

Edited by DaveC

Dave,

unfortunately being a first half casualty he does not appear in the digitised second half lists, A shame, as this could have given a residence town and which regiment reported him as wounded.