Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help required with identifying German uniform please

clunt

Good Morning,

I am researching a soldier who fought and died in WW2 during the battle of Crete. Although he was in the British Army at that time he was actually German who had left for Palestine in 1933 as he was Jewish. He had fought during WW1 in the German army against the British. (It's quite an incredible story)

The family have given me a couple of photographs of him from WW1 but I know very little in regards to what to look for to get an idea of unit and rank.

Can anybody offer some assistance in regards to the two photos please? In the group photo he is at the rear on the right. I'm afraid its quite a poor quality.

If it helps he was born in Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg.

Also is there an online database that provides details of German WW1 service records etc as I would like to research this aspect further?

Many Thanks

Chris

Hess WW1 with Siegfried zoom markup.jpg

Hess ww1 zoom.jpg

Edited by clunt
update

The first photo was probably taken before April 1915 as the soldier front left still wears the Brigadenumber 51 or 53 on the collar, a practice discontinued around April 1915.

The soldier in the back on the right might be with a cavalry unit, but it is very difficult for me to discern due to the quality of the photo. I bet they are from Württemberg, due to the helmets, cockade and Brigadenumber. The soldier 2nd from left is an infantrist. On the second photo you see a soldier in field-grey probably cavalry, the flap looks like the one on the 1st picture. He could be from Dragoner Reg 25 (courtesy The Prussian). The flowers seem to point to the day he was sent into the field.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Is it possible to post the group photo without the net? Do you want to reveal his name, DoB etc ? Records for some of the Württemberg regiments have survived.

Charlie

Hi,

Many thanks

I have requested another photo without the covering from the family but that may take some time.

His name was Hans Ludwig Hess 20/03/1893 

Best wishes

Chris

Yes that is correct

That's brilliant!! Thank you so much!

On 01/04/2024 at 10:46, GreyC said:

could be from Dragoner Reg 25

I‘m not sure I agree with DR 25. In the first photo I cannot see any Litzen on his collar but that could be due to the poor quality of the photo.

The second photo in the Feldgrau uniform, everything (in my opinion) points to Dragoner Regiment 26 rather than 25. The collar has rounded corners, no Litzen and yellow? piping. The collar for DR 25 has square corners, white piping and Litzen with red central stripes, Litzen were also worn on the cuffs. The shoulder straps would also have had yellow instead of white piping and the cypher looks to „full“ to be an O surmounted with a crown.

Am I correct in thinking as he was born in 1893 he would have been in the class of 1913 for military service purposes? If so it may be worth searching the Friedensstammrollen for him, unfortunately there is no index for the rolls

The Friedens and Kriegsstammrollen can be viewed online https://www2.landesarchiv-bw.de/ofs21/suche/findbuecher_mit_digitalisaten.php?archiv=1&sortierung=&klassi=1.12#_1.12

source -

Das Deutsche Heer, Friedensuniformen bei Ausbruch des Weltkrieges. Knötel and Pietsch.

Die Feldgraue Uniformierung des deutschen Heeres 1907-1918. Dr. Jürgen Kraus

Charlie

Charlie

IMG_5414.jpeg

IMG_5413.jpeg

6 hours ago, charlie2 said:

I‘m not sure I agree with DR 25. In the first photo

Hi Charlie,

what else would it then be in your opinion? All seem to be from Württemberg. He is from Württemberg. The Pickelhaube is from Württemberg  The only unit in the XIII. AK I know with a white collar is the DR 25. The reason that the Litzen are not visible is probably due to the poor quality of the photo.

If you have an option in mind, please let us know.

Best,

GreyC

I am not ruling out the first photo being DR 25 only the second.

12 minutes ago, GreyC said:

The reason that the Litzen are not visible is probably due to the poor quality of the photo.

Is what I also wrote

6 hours ago, charlie2 said:

In the first photo I cannot see any Litzen on his collar but that could be due to the poor quality of the photo.

Charlie

1 hour ago, charlie2 said:

I am not ruling out the first photo being DR 25 only the second

I thought you doubted the 1st also. The 2nd photo is more doubtful, I agree.

GreyC

My fault, I should have phrased my post better. :)
Charlie