Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help Identifying bayonet please

Homes48

Hey everyone - first time posting, I found a what I believe to be is a WW1 bayonet and I have had a look online and can’t find anything wondering is anyone here can identify it.

IMG_0943.jpeg

IMG_0947.jpeg

IMG_0949.jpeg

IMG_0950.jpeg

IMG_0951.jpeg

I think this is PRE WWI -

I believe it is a British Pattern, 1879 Artillery Sawback Bayonet that would mount on a Martini-Henry Artillery Carbine.

I would have expected it to have a VR crown/cypher on it - the fact that it is blank (and that the scabbard has a sale mark on it) suggests it might have been purchased by/sold to a militia unit.

Others may know better.

It looks like a nice example to me.

Chris

2 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

I think this is PRE WWI -

I believe it is a British Pattern, 1879 Artillery Sawback Bayonet that would mount on a Martini-Henry Artillery Carbine.

I would have expected it to have a VR crown/cypher on it - the fact that it is blank (and that the scabbard has a sale mark on it) suggests it might have been purchased by/sold to a militia unit.

Others may know better.

It looks like a nice example to me.

Chris

Thanks you so much Chris that is really helpful I do believe it has the crown on it but is cover by rust with letters V.R or maybe V.E

would you know what all the symbols and letters mean 

Homes

the photo is the best of the crown I can get

IMG_0955.jpeg

VR - is the royal cypher for Queen Victoria (Victoria Regina)

WD Arrow is War Department and the Crown/E/59 is an inspection stamp

The stamps of the scabbard are a sale stamp (two arrows point to point) indicating it has been legally sold and the others I cannot really make out but are likely a version of the inspection stamp or possibly a manufacturers mark

The number on the scabbard would usually be repeated on the pommel of the bayonet and is a "rack" number used for record keeping within a unit.

Chris

I agree with Chris regarding the identification. Looks to be the correct scabbard as well. Not sure about the frog though, could be an add on.?

The markings on the scabbard along the seam are the Sale mark (conjoined arrows) at top. Below that the Broad Arrow over WD for the War Department mark. And then a date of issue in the format x/82 so possibly 1882 but hard to be sure. Below that is another very faint Crowned Inspection mark.

Cheers,  SS 

Edited by shippingsteel

Thanks you both Chris and SS I really appreciate it and it has been really helpful 

Homes

Here is another with the Martini Henry Artillery Carbine which it fits.

MHAC.JPG.c1e6cbfd859d630ee4f94280c020d961.JPG

That is a very nice group there Terrylee, so thanks for posting your photo. :thumbsup:

A classic case of British "compensation" ... a very short Carbine gets a very long Bayonet to make up for it.! Just for that one time they might need to tussle with a mounted Cavalryman. :rolleyes:

Cheers,  SS