Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Authority for Discharge.

jack

I am researching 5251 Pte J Conlon, Connaught Rangers, embarked 24 September 1915 (2b). He was discharged 28 April 1916. The Authority shown is E2/9/2580. Does anyone know what that means, please?

Jack

Edited by jack

Please could you supply an image of the document page from which you got that detail [not just a tightly cropped abstract or a link (which other members may not be able to access)]

M

I may have misunderstood the entry as a reason for discharge. Perhaps you can enlighten me if I have.

image.jpeg.5792bc0cca1f2ed033d44773645f6328.jpeg

37 minutes ago, jack said:

He was discharged 28 April 1916. The Authority shown is E2/9/2580.

7 minutes ago, jack said:

I may have misunderstood the entry as a reason for discharge. Perhaps you can enlighten me if I have.

I don't think it is for discharge - but instead for handling of his 1914-15 Star [beyond that I cannot interpret]

M

3 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

I don't think it is for discharge - but instead for handling of his 1914-15 Star [beyond that I cannot interpret]

M

Thanks, M

It actually reads EF/9 not E2/9.

If you follow this link, scroll down to a table and EF9 is described at the bottom of the central column.

https://warrecordsrevealed.com/medal-cards-understanding-the-file-numbers-used-by-medal-branch-in-the-cards-rolls/

I doubt you'll get to the bottom of what the full reference relates to. Although with seven men with the same reference and probably others on other sheets it's not an individual aspect of a medal claim or issue.

If you kept looking for service files you might just find one that has correspondence with the EF/9/2580 reference.

PS. It seems in fact that the EF/9 refs only relate to the entries with corrected dates of entry or theatre.

TEW

Yes it's a file reference to correspondence that would explain why the dates of entry and theatre were wrong, it's the latter part that I'd finding interesting.

I also think it's a bit odd that the MICs have not been corrected.

TEW

3 hours ago, TEW said:

Yes it's a file reference to correspondence that would explain why the dates of entry and theatre were wrong, it's the latter part that I'd finding interesting.

I also think it's a bit odd that the MICs have not been corrected.

TEW

Are those files available to read or did the go up in smoke like many of the others?

Jack

I'm fairly sure they were not part of the Arnside fire.

It'll be correspondence between the medal office and perhaps the Cork  records office. The only place that you might find them would be in service files maintained by the Cork office. Otherwise they would have been disposed of long ago. 

I did in fact find a few service records for men with the reference. It actually makes things more confusing as neither the original date or the corrected date match the service file date.

One man had his first landing at Gallipoli but his medal roll has been changed from the correct 2b to an incorrect 2a.

Puzzling.

TEW

Thank you for that information, Tew. May be something worth following up on.

Jack

Conlon's medal roll for the pair only shows service with the 5th Connaught Rangers. His 1915 Star entry has only been changed by one day, from 23/9/15 to 24/9/15. Theatre remains as 2b which is Gallipoli and Aegean Islands. His MIC date of entry has not been updated. Incidently, 24/9/15 is a disembarkation date not embarkation.

The man above him in the 1915 star roll is 5170 Connors. His pair roll only show 5th Connaught Rangers. His entry has been changed from 18/11/15 2b, to 19/12/15 2a. MIC has not been changed.

The Long Long Trail shows quite a complicated movement for the 5th Battalion;

9 July 1915: embarked at Devonport and sailed to Gallipoli via Mudros.
Landed Anzac Cove 5 August 1915.
30 September 1915 : moved via Mudros to Salonika.

The diary for the 5th CR is listed at TNA as Salonika, Macedonia etc from 1/10/15.

I suspect there was a serious admin error with entry dates and theatres on disembarkation rolls. 2b would be correct for Gallipoli up to 30/9/15 then 2a would be correct for Salonika to the end of the year. If the entry for Conlon is correct then he spent a week at Gallipoli then moved to Salonika.

I've seen a few WO363 service records for men with the EF9/ ref which are even more muddled up. One has a table of service showing UK home service for a period while on the same sheet he is wounded and in Boulogne. Others have this table of service crossed out.

TEW

This extract is for 4869 Aldrich 5th Connaught Rangers. Medal Roll shows 2/10/15 2b which was corrected to 15/10/15 2a.

The extract says Mediterranean Expeditionary Force - Dardanelles 5th Battalion 21/9/15.

120354-00177.jpg.c92cea8cfbea9114632f1aca48f30da0.jpg

Image courtesy of Ancestry

I think he was posted to the MEF while in the UK, perhaps when he embarked. He may have been earmarked for the Dardanelles but the battalion had pulled out by the time he arrived so he detoured to Mudros and thence to Salonika? I'd guess his medal roll entry was compiled from the info in his service file. Some clever clerk in the medal office spotted errors in the roll which instigated the EF9/2580 correspondence and authority to correct the roll. There are many entries with this annotation, running into a few hundreds.

The above paragraph is partly guesswork.

A check of the 5th CR dairy for Gallipoli may help to see if they had drafts on the dates given?

TEW

On 03/04/2024 at 14:38, TEW said:

This extract is for 4869 Aldrich 5th Connaught Rangers. Medal Roll shows 2/10/15 2b which was corrected to 15/10/15 2a.

The extract says Mediterranean Expeditionary Force - Dardanelles 5th Battalion 21/9/15.

120354-00177.jpg.c92cea8cfbea9114632f1aca48f30da0.jpg

Image courtesy of Ancestry

I think he was posted to the MEF while in the UK, perhaps when he embarked. He may have been earmarked for the Dardanelles but the battalion had pulled out by the time he arrived so he detoured to Mudros and thence to Salonika? I'd guess his medal roll entry was compiled from the info in his service file. Some clever clerk in the medal office spotted errors in the roll which instigated the EF9/2580 correspondence and authority to correct the roll. There are many entries with this annotation, running into a few hundreds.

The above paragraph is partly guesswork.

A check of the 5th CR dairy for Gallipoli may help to see if they had drafts on the dates given?

TEW

Many thanks, Tew