Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help Required Please

Dazscuba

I have a medal for a Pte Eli Smith

23969 East Yorks Reg, 420793 Labour Corps and can’t find much on him and wondered if anybody could assist please? I have his MIC, Medals Issued, Pension record, Pension Ledger. On these last two he applied for a pension for two separate incidents where he was wounded in the back and shoulder by Shrapnel & GSW. (1916/1917), this pension was rejected. On the pension it does not have a DOB or where born just 31 in 1919. Working back I put his birth at about 1888. It states on the pension request that he was reviewed in Mons and gave an address of 32 Ceylon Street, Hull. 
1911 shows a Smith family living at 36 Ceylon Street and having two boarders one being ELY smith. (Could be a mistake in spelling Eli) nothing in the 1939 census.

so my questions to you are can you identify where he was born and his date of death and where this was please? I’m pulling my hair out what little I have ***.

any info on him would be greatly appreciated 

15 minutes ago, Dazscuba said:

On the pension it does not have a DOB or where born just 31 in 1919. Working back I put his birth at about 1888.

??? Possibly ???

Surname  First name(s)    District  Vol  Page 

Births Mar 1887   (>99%)
Smith  Elisha    Goole  9c 718

M

Hospital admission for GSW to back age 28 16 Nov 1916. at Beaumont 14/11/16

20 Dec 16 resided place as Hull, 

Dazscuba, further to your enquiries I've just PM'd you some stuff...

Gaz

Gaz thanks v much 

and to the others that replied thanks for taking the time to look and reply.

Edited by Dazscuba

The 1921 census for Ceylon St address says Eli. Gives place of birth as Barry, South Wales. In a houshold of 12 and he is "brother in law". All are Smiths.

Possibly parents Robert and Sarah Anne according to a Baptism Record from Merthyr Dyfan Dec 1887. Birth reg appears to be 1st Q, 1887

In Casualty List Hull Daily Mail 23/12/16.

Edited by Mark1959

Mark as usual thanks for your help. Was stuck with his dob etc. the Cylon address was it 32 or 36 for the 1921 census ?

4 Smiths including Eli appear in electoral registers at 32 Ceylon St until 1924. Lose him on the registers thereafter. He does not seem to be on the 1918 AVL for Hull

Edited by Mark1959