Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wings

Perth Digger

Source of Photo: https://astreetnearyou.org/person/385399/Second-Lieutenant-Robert-George-Berwick

This photo shows Berwick wearing his wings (I think). He officially became a Flying Officer on 7 July 1917, yet was KIFA on 6 July. The photo precedes both. Was this common? (I am assuming that wings could only be put up after becoming FO).

Thanks

Mike

Berwick, R G.jpg

Appointed a temporary 2nd Lieutenant on 10 May 1917, the announcement of his appointment as a flying officer wasn't made until 26 October 1917!  The entry in the London Gazette reads: Flying Officers.-—Temp. 2nd Lt. (on prob.) R. G. Berwick, Gen. List (since killed in aero accident), and to be confirmed in his rank. 7th July 1917.

He was assigned to No 60 Training Squadron on 9 June; the annotation on his AIR76 record seems to read (Higher Inst..) which I take to mean Higher Instruction.  He was killed in the crash of R.E.8 A3498 which 'spun due to misuse of controls during instruction Scampton aerodrome'.

From 'Flight' of 2 August 1917:

Second Lieutenant ROBERT G. BERWICK, R.F.C., who was killed in a flying accident at Scampton, near Lincoln, on July 6th, was the younger son of Mr. and Mrs. W. J. Berwick, of Schubert Road, East Putney, and was 20 years of age.  He joined the Inns of Court Officers' Training Corps in November, 1915, serving with that unit until transferring to the R.F.C. in February, 1917, just recently gaining his " wings."  He was buried on July 12th, at Kingston Vale Cemetery, with full military honours, the body being borne to the cemetery on a gun-carriage of the Royal Horse Artillery.

The photograph looks like a studio shot, so it's possible he had been advised of his appointment and had the picture taken before the announcement had been Gazetted.

Graeme

Many thanks, Graeme. He was tempting fate a bit.

Mike