Looking to identify this piece.. Clearly German and WWI.  Thanks. Mark

IMG_7385.jpeg

IMG_7388.jpeg

IMG_7389.jpeg

IMG_7390.jpeg

IMG_7391.jpeg

IMG_7392.jpeg

IMG_7393.jpeg

At first sight, it looks like some form of collimator or reflex gun sight. It would be interesting to know what the 'optics' appears to do - if a collimator sight, as far as I understand them, it would not act as a telescope as such but would be used to provide a graticule when the target is viewed with both eyes. It would also be useful to know what the adjustment knob actually changes and also what the scale is 0 to ??

Thank you Sir extra details to follow but TY for those areas for interest.

Mark

The British never used collimators as a sighting device on field guns as far as I am aware but, pre-WW1, the Germans and French did use them.  Even after Goertz designed the first panoramic (dial) telescope sight in 1906, the Germans, in particular, still used a collimator next to the dial sight for direct fire on at least one field gun. That one did not look like the one above but, if it was designed for a similar purpose, the micrometer would have been used to apply deflection to the sight, usually + or - a few degrees or + or - 30 Mils or so.

I believe the collimator is off the bit of pre-ww1 German artillery instrumentation (Richtbogen 98) shown below. It's not an artillery director but some form of clinometer although I'm not entirely sure what it was used for. Hopefully, someone will be able to explain its purpose - if not, I'll reluctantly try to read the Gothic script text to see what the Germans said about it!

German.jpg

The image shows the horizontal adjustment which goes up to 32 so miles half circle I guess.  The  brass side dial rotates the sight which moves the miles but then also adjusts the brass markings which are up to 100, 0 to 100 in tens.

Hope that makes sense!

IMG_7454.jpeg

SPACEMAN you are amazing. What a find in detail, thanks. The piece is clearly shown.  Are you an expert in entfernungsmesser’s too???

Mark

I'm interested in anything to do with artillery, especially instrumentation! Having looked at the German a bit closer, I think this contraption is an emergency sight for the 10 cm lFH 98/09. I assume the clinometer bit was used to set the elevation of the gun and the collimator bit was used as a simple dial sight to lay for direction.

Edited by Spaceman

Thanks Sir. Not quite artillery it I am trying to identify and locate the EM14. I cannot find any documentation for it as there are so many rangefinders and tripods out there. However I have one piece that might be of interest to you and that is a Director Number 3 tripod. Details to follow.

Mark