Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Advice from the German bayonet experts please

Mark Finneran

Looking to identify please the details of my few bayonets. Good or bad news! If more photos are required please say.

First batch:

IMG_7426.jpeg

IMG_7429.jpeg

Looks like nice sawback pieces, the upper and lower one are older models S98/05aAS one by Erfurt and second by A.Coppel, doesnt look like any unit stamp there, the green colored scabbard could be done in WW1 as typical ersatz field color, but same as postwar by other states. The middle piece is S98/05nAS made by WKC.

Andy huge thanks - all great info. Next batch incoming.

3 ersatz but only one stamped with makers name?

IMG_7432.jpeg

IMG_7430.jpeg

Any info on these would be welcome. When.they came into service etc and if one is missing the little all/pommel thing at the end of the scabbard pointy bit!

Mark

Details of these too please?

IMG_7434.jpeg

IMG_7435.jpeg

IMG_7437.jpeg

IMG_7439.jpeg

Ersatzes are in reality ASG88/98 used on both main german rifles, the upper one looks like proper color on scabbard, the second one has a pressed scabbard by (possible not FAG but other maker) with origin paint probably, the only unit marked the lower one was heavily polished, the unit could be hard to exactly deciphere it means only 2.MG. Kompany weapon nr.65. Frog should be looked at backside as steel rivets could be even a WW2 frog?

Edited by AndyBsk

The 3 series is of S84/98nA 2x and one refurbished S84/98aA from older S1871/84 bayonet. The left one made by Erfurt has probably wrong turkish frog on it. Second one G.Hammesfahr blade deliverer, has a sharpened postwar blade, good is similar unit as on previous ersatz piece, Second MG. Kompany weapon nr.21.

The last one as mentioned had old unit number from previous S1871/84 configuration era,  bayonet is  ?7.Regt. marked, 12.Company and weapon nr.237, the missmatched scabbard is 117 Inf.Regt. 7.Company and weapon nr.30 marked.

Again thank you for all the assistance. I am only looking to keep original WWI bayonets to compliment my collection so all helpful. Last batch incoming.

Mark

IMG_7440.jpeg

IMG_7442.jpeg

IMG_7444.jpeg

IMG_7446.jpeg

IMG_7447.jpeg

IMG_7450.jpeg

Edited by Mark Finneran

In the last photo, the first four bayonets from the left are commemorative dress bayonets, ordered privately by soldiers after completing their service. Interwar period
The last one with wooden grips is the kurzes Seitengewehr 1898 combat bayonet. Horster made these bayonets in 1913 and 14. The year should be written on the back.
Leather coverings were replaced with wooden ones, e.g. for colonial troops

Sir great info and thanks. The four left ones still WWI period?

Mark

This is the production of private companies in the period after the Great War. Plastic covers, nickel, no government or military acceptance, although the bayonets are based on the M1898

Hello. 

The WKC trade mark represents the period of the first war

As already mentioned the KS98 are mainly as parade dress pieces, the 3 rivets are certainly pre or immediately WW1, WKC TM should be correct, the far right as mentioned is a service KS98 piece made by Hoerster, i assume the Holler and unmarked with shorted handles should be with steel handles too period of WW1 or only shortly period of early weimar. AS with sawbacks it should be probably for NCOs, question would be the frog marking, as one of the frogs with rivets are not typical on dress bayonets.

Thanks. I think I will take all the frogs off as without doubt these could have been added anytime over the past 100 years plus! I don't want them to detract from a pre-WWI or WWI piece. I am grateful for the expert advice but just want to have the correct bayonet for my machine gunners. I have had these for no more than 6 years.

Mark

Generally
 Frogs sewn with the facing side out were used for dress bayonets.
In the last photo, the first one on the left is most likely a combat one. Two "shiny" ones, rather intended for dress bayonets.
I wouldn't remove the frogs from their sheaths without photo documentation.
There is a possibility that the combat KS1898 was used (e.g. after filing off the inspection and state ownership marks) as a dress bayonet.