Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gefreiter Franz Slivinsky, KiA Somme, 1917

Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear All,

The original Postcard - unfortunately mislade - ends with the words 'Auf Wiedersehen'. It was not to be. 

My ex-wife's Grandfather, Franz Slivinsky, was one of countless troops Killed in Action in the Somme area during 1917.Gefr.FranzSlivinskygef.1917anderSomme.jpg.f76aa6bfcd70e7e0e39fb6a82a21af50.jpg.

I thought it appropriate to share his Image with the Great War Forum. This, especially, as the Rank and File receive less attention than do the Officers.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Edited by Kimberley John Lindsay

• Kimberley John Lindsay changed the title to Gefreiter Franz Slivinsky, KiA Somme, 1917

I can't immediately find him in the Verlustlisten. Do you have more information?

Jan

18 minutes ago, AOK4 said:

I can't immediately find him in the Verlustlisten. Do you have more information?

Jan

Jan, I presume you have also tried the spelling Sliwinski as well, I looked for him yesterday for quite a while and found nothing conclusive.

Charlie

24 minutes ago, charlie2 said:

Jan, I presume you have also tried the spelling Sliwinski as well, I looked for him yesterday for quite a while and found nothing conclusive.

Charlie

Indeed. A place of birth would be helpful as Franz may have been only one of his first names.

Was he in a unit from Bayern (Leibregiment)? Then his Stammrollen information might be found at Ancestry?

If Prussian, there are a handful Franz Sliwinski/liwinsky  in the list.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

1 hour ago, GreyC said:

Was he in a unit from Bayern (Leibregiment)? Then his Stammrollen information might be found at Ancestry?

If Prussian, there are a handful Franz Sliwinski/liwinsky  in the list.

GreyC

It doesn't seem he's Bavarian and anyway there are no Sliv/winsky/i's there.

+ Kim said he was KIA on the Somme in 1917 and there's no apparent match for that in the Verlustlisten.

Jan

Kim - was Franz Slivinsky initially missing and later deemed KIA/declared gerichtlich tot after the war with his death date being the last day he was seen alive in 1917 at the Somme (or, more informally, did the family simply accept he was dead around that time/place)?

Edited by knittinganddeath

Dear All, and knittingand death,

He was the grandfather of my ex-wife (who was from Witten, Nordrhein-Westphalen), so the details-trail is now cold.

I tend to think that he was merely declared dead around that time and place.

Thanks to All for checking here and there based on infuriatingly sparse evidence. 

I may find the original Postkarte, yet!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

8 hours ago, AOK4 said:

It doesn't seem he's Bavarian

Well for me there seem to be hints he was. Look at the flaps and the cockade.

GreyC

3 minutes ago, GreyC said:

Well for me there seem to be hints he was. Look at the flaps and the cockade.

GreyC

Leibregiment should have Litzen and it's a Prussian cockade, and probably a uniform of IR 53 (Ersatzeinheit). However, that doesn't mean anything for the actual frontline unit.

I was decived by the flaps. Light blue instead of white makes sense.

I agree with you Jan!

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

His Troddel looks to be that of No.7 Company - red Stengel and yellow Schieber and Kranz.

Charlie

Dear All, and charlie2.

Thanks for this hard-to-obtain detail!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

10 hours ago, charlie2 said:

His Troddel looks to be that of No.7 Company - red Stengel and yellow Schieber and Kranz.

Charlie

The company is not that relevant in case of Ersatz-Bataillon/Rekrutendepot/etc. in Germany. Even the regiment. It's his frontline unit that matters, especially as men from the populated areas in the west often were spread to units from other areas when they arrived in frontline units.

Unless Kim would be able to give additional information, we can't really say much more.

44 minutes ago, AOK4 said:

The company is not that relevant in case of Ersatz-Bataillon/Rekrutendepot/etc. in Germany. Even the regiment. It's his frontline unit that matters, especially as men from the populated areas in the west often were spread to units from other areas when they arrived in frontline units.

Unless Kim would be able to give additional information, we can't really say much more.

I agree, but as there is no evidence that it is even a war time photo, it is relevant to the photo and maybe of interest to others.:)

Charlie

Dear All,

I am in fact clearing through old research and files, and - should the original Postkarte with message written on the back (his last, and signed 'Auf Wiedersehen'), I will report back, without fail!

Thanks for all your fascinating information so far,

Kindest regards,

Kim.