Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fijian Infantry

essex66

I'm researching a war memorial in Hackney, London.  One of the men is listed as F. GRAY and the memorial gives his regiment as Fijian Infantry Regiment.  I am struggling to identify him without more information.  

I have read with interest other posts on this site re Fijian Labour Corps and am wondering if anyone can help?

Many thanks

1 hour ago, essex66 said:

I'm researching a war memorial in Hackney, London.  One of the men is listed as F. GRAY and the memorial gives his regiment as Fijian Infantry Regiment.  I am struggling to identify him without more information.  

I have read with interest other posts on this site re Fijian Labour Corps and am wondering if anyone can help?

Many thanks

Looking at the Hackney Wick it reads 

F. GRAY F. INFAN 

there has also been  a roots chat about him

Edited by thetrenchrat22

From my searches -- in WW1 there was the Fijian Labour Corps - according to the excellent book 'No Labour, No Battle' (Starling and Lee) 'in January 1915 the first contingent of some 60 white men was sent 'home' (Britain) where most of them were immediately attached to the King's Royal Rifles. By the end of the war some 600 white Fijians had answered the call to arms' -- I can not find any sign of a Fijian Infantry Regiment in WW1

In WW2, there was a Fijian Infantry Regiment -- Wikipedia has '1st Battalion, Fiji Infantry Regiment: The 1st Battalion was originally raised in response to the request by the US Forces deployed in the Pacific theatre during the Second World War for operations in the Solomon Islands. The Battalion left Fiji in 1943 and saw action in Guadalcanal, Kolombangara, Bougainville and other parts of the Solomons. The Battalion spent 17 months overseas before returning to Fiji in 1944'.

Thank you for this information. I will see if I can get the book from the library etc. If I could find his first name or approx age it would help me identify him in the census.

9 minutes ago, thetrenchrat22 said:

Looking at the Hackney Wick it reads 

F. GRAY F. INFAN 

there has also been  a roots chat about him

thank you.  I'll look on Rootschat too.

Contact forum member Christine Liava. She researches Fiji and the Great War.

Scott

Edited by Waddell
Added more.

Have a look at this website- my.christchurchcitylibraries.com - search Fiji.

Adrian

19 hours ago, essex66 said:

Many thanks

What makes it, you think it’s Fijian Regiment 

I've not actually seen the memorial but was given the names shown by Hackney Archives and its shows Fiji Infantry as his regiment; it's been spot on with all the other entries.

13 hours ago, AdrianC said:

Have a look at this website- my.christchurchcitylibraries.com - search Fiji.

Adrian

Thanks Adrian.

5 hours ago, essex66 said:

I've not actually seen the memorial but was given the names shown by Hackney Archives and its shows Fiji Infantry as his regiment; it's been spot on with all the other entries.

Thanks Adrian.

There was no Fijian infantry regiment until WW2.  As mentioned above, just a Labour unit during WW1, and with a fine reputation in that role.

Edited by FROGSMILE

30 minutes ago, Waddell said:

There were contingents of Fijians that served in the KRRC.

See here-

https://www.thejetnewspaper.com/fiji-contingent-honored-at-commemorative-service/

There have been threads about these men on the forum.

Scott

Yes I think that was mentioned earlier by Allan1892 if you read the thread.  They were white Fijians and I got the impression that the OP essex66 was referring to indigenous Fijian South Sea islanders and so answered on that basis.  Perhaps I got that wrong and @essex66can confirm exactly what he / she is seeking over and above what’s already been said? 

Edited by FROGSMILE

Private Frederick Grey

SERN 6185 23rd battalion

Australian imperial force

Frederick Gray was born in Rewa.fiji about 1893.

he was a locomotive driver. The brother of Sarah Grey. Rewa

he was an apprentice of the Vancouver Fiji sugar company

He enlisted in Liverpool. New South Wales on 18 May 1916, aged 23, his next of kin being his wife Gertie Grey of Cootramundra. New South Wales.

he embarked 

per argyllshire on 30 October 1916. and served in France.

he was wounded in action on 3rd May 1917. with gunshot wounds in the leg and arm.

he returned to Australia on 11 December 1918 per Saxon.

He was discharged on 12 March 1919.

he was awarded the British War Medal and Victory Medal

he was listed in the Fiji Times Roll of Honour 

Christine 

Mistake in my copying

Line 4

Gray should be Grey

Christine Liava'a 

4 hours ago, christine liava'a said:

Mistake in my copying

Line 4

Gray should be Grey

Christine Liava'a 

Thank you Christine. https://www.facebook.com/story.php/?id=100070778205717&story_fbid=204097109610441

IMG_3586.jpeg

IMG_3588.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

On 29/03/2024 at 16:34, essex66 said:

I'm researching a war memorial in Hackney, London.  One of the men is listed as F. GRAY and the memorial gives his regiment as Fijian Infantry Regiment.

What is the source of the above information? That I can tell, the memorial states F. GRAY F. INFAN 

22 hours ago, essex66 said:

Presumably, Hackney Archives have a list of men, and a non-abbreviated unit name? I take it they have no further information on these men, else they would have sent it to you? The men of the Bethnal Green War Memorial have a next of kin address, which is useful for further genealogical research. 

I do not think that Frederick Grey from fiji and Australia is the one buried in England . My Frederick returned to Australia alive in 1919

Thanks.

The rootschat thread mentions

Fréderic Lym GRAY, a Corporal in the Foreign Legion, a Belgian.

James French Gray, Sapper, Died 18 September 1920, Age 20 years old
Royal Corps of Signals, attd. 2nd Wireless Sect.
Son of Daniel and Lizzie Gray, of 31, Trego Rd., Hackney Wick, London.

There's only one person with the surname Gray on the war memorial.

13 hours ago, christine liava'a said:

Mistake in my copying

Line 4

Gray should be Grey

Christine Liava'a 

Thank you to everyone who has replied.  I'm overwhelmed with the responses.  

I'm not quite sure where to go from here, but I think the Fréderic Lym GRAY mentioned sounds a good candidate.   

I hold the opinion that James French Gray, a resident of Hackney Wick, is a stronger contender to be the person on the war memorial situated in Victoria Park, a short distance from Trego Road.. 

You need to actually see the grave. Or get a photo of it. showing the inscription and any other details about the actual memorial itself

Christine 

On 31/03/2024 at 22:36, Keith_history_buff said:

I hold the opinion that James French Gray, a resident of Hackney Wick, is a stronger contender to be the person on the war memorial situated in Victoria Park, a short distance from Trego Road.. 

Yes, it could be either.  I'll do some more digging and see if anything else comes to light.  Thank you.