Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Warwickshire Horse Artillery

Hogenaker

Items pertaining to Trumpeter Sharpe Royal Warwickshire Horse Artillery. 29th Division, western front and occupation of the Rhine Bridgehead.

IMG_8021.jpeg

IMG_8022.jpeg

IMG_8023.jpeg

243 later 614024 Thomas George Sharpe. France 31 October 1914. Sergeant 12 August 1918. His service record exists in National Archives WO363.

Thanks Chris

fantastic info at great speed. I will post a pic of Sharpe on occupation duties. The RHA seemed to have continued wearing ball buttons on their jackets. They also served 18 pounders not 13 pounders as they supported an infantry division.

The belt he has is a 1903 pattern with a Sam Browne cross strap- I think to reflect his high (NCO) rank and a cheaper option than a tailor madd private purchase.

thanksIMG_8030.jpeg.c0cdec1ac4001a6216be2bd7f59d4f56.jpeg

IMG_8029.jpeg

IMG_8026.jpeg

Few more pics…

IMG_8025.jpeg

IMG_8023.jpeg

IMG_8024.jpeg

The badge is slipped onto the belt not attached.

IMG_8029.jpeg

IMG_8028.jpeg

IMG_8027.jpeg

Beautiful padded 29th Div patch

IMG_8022.jpeg

I see Trumpeter T G Sharpe 243 is listed on a 1/1Warks TF RHA roll dated 29/10/1914 as :  Cof E - next of kin was his mother Mrs J Sharpe of 44 Clarendon Square, Leamington.

On 29/03/2024 at 15:16, Hogenaker said:

Thanks Chris

fantastic info at great speed. I will post a pic of Sharpe on occupation duties. The RHA seemed to have continued wearing ball buttons on their jackets. They also served 18 pounders not 13 pounders as they supported an infantry division.

The belt he has is a 1903 pattern with a Sam Browne cross strap- I think to reflect his high (NCO) rank and a cheaper option than a tailor madd private purchase.

thanksIMG_8030.jpeg.c0cdec1ac4001a6216be2bd7f59d4f56.jpeg

IMG_8029.jpeg

IMG_8026.jpeg

Few more pics…

IMG_8025.jpeg

IMG_8023.jpeg

IMG_8024.jpeg

The supporting strap is to compensate for the weight of a pistol, as the Trumpeters were not equipped with a rifle in the equipment table.  They were instead given a pistol, open topped holster, and a supporting strap for their waist belt.  As well as a trumpet for dismounted calls, they carried a bugle for mounted calls.

Edited by FROGSMILE

2 hours ago, Hogenaker said:

Thanks for the additional information. Much appreciated 

It was felt that they had enough on their hands with sword, trumpet and bugle and were unlikely to take up a position in a firing line given their key communication role within the battery.  Ergo giving them a rifle was considered inappropriate and wasteful. I suspect that the sword might’ve been  removed at some point. 

Edited by FROGSMILE