Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Georg Eisele: a Swabian Leutnant der Reserve who 'served with the Prussians', 1918

Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear All,

Attached is a 1918 portrait of Georg Eisele (pron. eye-seh-leh), a "Swabian," born at Schramberg in Wüerttemberg.

Herr Eisele was a diplomiert Engineer pre-1914, but served during the Great War with a Prussian artillery unit - despite being a Swabian!

I knew him quite well (he signed the photograph for me in 1973), and he always repeated: 'Ich war bei den Preussen!'. No doubt thanks to his Swabian origins, Eisele was awarded the "Silberne Verdienstmedaille" (König Wilhelm II of Wüerttemberg), a silver medal for bravery.  The yellow/black ribbon is seen tucked under his EKII ribbon.

The "Prussians" - Kaiser Wilhelm II - LeutnantderReserveGeorgEisele1918.jpg.b6da422a12f0b2e6910df063c51a5cc9.jpggave Ltn d. Res. Eisele the liberally-awarded Iron Cross Ist and 2nd Class (EKI und EKII), and he also had the Wound Badge in Black for one or two woundings. 

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Edited by Kimberley John Lindsay

2 hours ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

the liberally-awarded Iron Cross Ist and 2nd Class

Hi,

if "liberally" means easily I would disagree with regard to the EK I and the EK II in the first half of the war or at least to the end of 1915.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

10 minutes ago, GreyC said:

Hi,

if "liberally" means easily I would disagree with regard to the EK I and the EK II in the first half of the war or at least to the ends of 1915.

GreyC

I agree with GreyC. Early in the war, even an EK2 wasn't that easy to get. It often was awarded for war wounds. It is only later in the war (and also after the war) that almost anyone could get an EK2.

Jan

Hi,

the photographer´s stamp is partly visible on the lower right corner (C. Faist), the rest cut off by the scannig process. Could be Schramberg, would match with his origin. Eisele was either with Fuß-Artillerie-Regiment 13 or 15. I go with 13, as it was situated at Breisach am Rhein. The unit was formerly württembergisch but became Prussian in 1893. The FuAR 15 was also Prussian but in Graudenz, Pommerania.

GreyC

11 minutes ago, GreyC said:

Hi,

the photographer´s stamp is partly visible on the lower right corner (C. Faist), the rest cut off by the scannig process. Could be Schramberg, would match with his origin. Eisele was either with Fuß-Artillerie-Regiment 13 or 15. I go with 13, as it was situated at Breisach am Rhein. The unit was formerly württembergisch but became Prussian in 1893. The FuAR 15 was also Prussian but in Graudenz, Pommerania.

GreyC

I hadn't paid attention to the shoulder boards. Isn't 18 an option as well?

It could be a battery/battalion as well, plenty of options, Fußartillerie-Regiment 13 seems the most probable.

9 minutes ago, AOK4 said:

Isn't 18 an option as well?

It could be a battery/battalion as well, plenty of options

This time it´s me to agree :). Fuß-AR 18 = Kassel

The number is difficult to make out.

However as there were no Fuß-Art. battery or battalion with 13/15/18 it should be, as you say yourself, most probably either Fuß-Art. Reg. 13/18 or a formation stemming from it, as soldiers of these would wear the same boards as the "mother" regiment.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

31 minutes ago, GreyC said:

This time it´s me to agree :). Fuß-AR 18 = Kassel

The number is difficult to make out.

However as there were no Fuß-Art. battery or battalion with 13/15/18 it should be, as you say yourself, most probably either Fuß-Art. Reg. 13/18 or a formation stemming from it, as soldiers of these would wear the same boards as the "mother" regiment.

GreyC

Anyway, his file in Stuttgart should reveal everything. Kim may find it interesting to have the full details and since he doesn't live that far (IIRC), he may consider a visit to Stuttgart (where you can take your own pictures now of the files).

Dear Jan and GreyC,

Good researching: well done!

I have already corrected Schorndorf (where I met him), to Schramberg. Thanks!  Also "thank you" for finding his date of Wounding.

I agree with the pertinent comments regarding EKI and EKII awards, especially early in the Great War. However, compared with the British honours system, far more bravery decorations were awarded - especially the EKII.

I was unfortuunately unable to open the link to the Landesarchiv (yes, I live near Stuttgart). I have been there decades ago, but now I am 79 1/2 and care 24/7 for my invalid wife, Evelyn. Such is Life!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

3 hours ago, AOK4 said:

In which case, this would be his file:

http://www.landesarchiv-bw.de/plink/?f=1-738834

http://www.landesarchiv-bw.de/plink/?f=1-738834

A new try.

It doesn't seem to work. You have to copy/paste it to your browser.

Edited by AOK4

Dear AOK4,

Thanks for your much appreciated efforts on my behalf!

Kindest regards,

Kim.