Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

mrfrank

On 09/04/2024 at 18:45, mrfrank said:

Cpl Burdett

Possible from the 207th Field Company War Diary entry for 12th September 1916. 84627 2nd Corporal A.E. Burdett slightly wounded – remained at duty, (sniper).
Entry 26th August 1917 Good work was done by Sergeant Burdett, (amongst others).
12th September 1917 84627 Sergant Burdett A.E, awarded the Military Medal for work in connection with operations on August 26th.

MiC for 84627 Serjeant Albert E. Burdett, Royal Engineers, shows Victory Medal and British War Medal only.
Separate card for his Military Medal shows it gazetted 2nd November 1917.

FindMyPast have surviving service records for Albert Edward Burdett indexed as born Sprowston, Norfolk c1884. However they date them to 1918 so may be discharge records.
Familysearch do however show them as Burnt Records (WO363) and that he was born Sprowston and resident Great Yarmouth.

On the 1911 Census of England & Wales there is a 29 year old Albert Burdett, a Coal Porter born “Norwich”, who was recorded as the married head of the household at No.3 Rackham Road, Old Catton, Norwich. He lives there with his wife of 7 years, Eliza, (29, born Norwich) and their three children, Albert, (7), Walter, (6) and Noel, (2), all born Norwich. On the 1901  Census he is most likely the 19 year old Militia Private, embodied and recorded in Barracks at Colchester. Place of birth was given then as St. Faiths, Norfolk. Both Sprowston and Old Catton are very much now suburbs of Norwich, while at that time when Albert was born the village of Sprowston fell within the parish union of St Faiths.

Cheers,
Peter

Apart from being named in the WD of 207 FC on 12/09/1916, 84627 A E Burdett is also named in the Official Casualty List in the Times 14/10/1916 under Wounded - RE.

Brian

I am helping researching the backgrounds into the boys who were killed during WW1 and are commemorated on my old school war memorial in Pontypridd.  Lieutenant Ivor Bowen is remembered there. Would you mind if I used the photographs of the officers in a booklet that we are preparing about the boys?  The research purpose is just to ensure that the boys are remembered as individuals not just names on a wall plaque.

Thanks

Sue

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. @mrfrank should see your post now. 

9 hours ago, SueJ said:

I am helping researching the backgrounds into the boys who were killed during WW1 and are commemorated on my old school war memorial in Pontypridd.  Lieutenant Ivor Bowen is remembered there. Would you mind if I used the photographs of the officers in a booklet that we are preparing about the boys?  The research purpose is just to ensure that the boys are remembered as individuals not just names on a wall plaque.

Thanks

Sue

Thanks Michelle….PM sent to Sue