Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Death certificates of children in WO363 file

Judith Batchelor

I've been looking at the service records of John Charles Shuter of the Coldstream Guards, Reg. No. 7950. Amongst his papers are the death certificates of his two sons, Joseph born in 1915 and Richard born in 1916. Both were born prematurely and died a few hours after birth. The War Office contacted and paid the Registrar of Aston to obtain copies of the children's death certificates. I presume the reason for this was linked to the separation allowance but it seems odd, as since they died soon after birth, there wouldn't have been an opportunity to claim support.  I would be interested to hear thoughts.

Many thanks,

Judith

www.genealogyjude.com  

I've seen many records where they insist on seeing BMD certificates.

They may have seen birth certificates and had to see the death certificates to cross the T's and dot the I's.

TEW 

14 minutes ago, TEW said:

I've seen many records where they insist on seeing BMD certificates.

They may have seen birth certificates and had to see the death certificates to cross the T's and dot the I's.

TEW 

Many thanks for your reply. I'm sure you are right, though it seems a little curious that they would bother and incur the expense, given the circumstances. 

I don't know the reasons but it's not uncommon to find death certificates in service files. It may be children or other family members, occasionally even the man himself.

It's more common for the later WO 97 records to include the death certificate of the soldier during the 20th century, thereby documenting the end of payment of pension to that individual.

Thanks everyone for all your responses. Much appreciated!